DSP Gaming

Movie Review Thread 4.0: The Unnecessary Reboot

MasterOfAwesomeness

The Black Phone - Review (2022)

The Good
Scott Derrickson's Direction is great giving us his best film yet and showing hes definitely a Horor director to watch for. 

The Writing from Scott Derrickson and C. Robert Cargill is great with alot of faithfulness to the short story. 

Ethan Hawke is fucking amazing as The Grabber who is one of the best masked horror characters in a long ass time, and his mask changes on his mood. 

Mason Thames is awesome 

Every kid actor in the film is great. 

The Atmosphere is definitely haunting especially in the Kidnapping flashbacks that is done very identical to the Kill Videos in Sinister. 

Mark Korven's score with even scenes that don't use music.

The last act is awesome. 

The Bad
Nothing

Final Thoughts: The Black Phone was definitely worth waiting for even though it should of never been delayed, but other than that is definitely a great horror film of the year. 

Overall Grade: A+
FB_IMG_1655742720592.thumb.jpg.abed04615ac3196b9ddc39d707a17934.jpg

Elvis - Review (2022)

The Good
Austin Butler is great at Elvis Presley and surprisingly doesn't lip sync

Tom Hanks as Col. Tom Parker is also great even though his accent and later how he looks is cringe

The story of Elvis rise and fall is definitely worth to tell and they show almost all the bad shit hes done. 

The Elvis Songs

The Mixed
The Supporting Cast are Hit or Miss

The Bad
Baz Luhrmann's terrible Direction i always hated his Visual style it works for some movies, but not this they should of had the director of Walk the Line instead.

The screenplay of 4 writers definitely shows with alot of bad dialogue and cringe. 

Random terrible covers of other people singing elvis songs and terrible random rap songs. 

Its too fucking long

Some bd camera work and camera cuts and camera zooms basically the film editing is ass. 

Final Thoughts: Elvis has 2 great performances, but just like Bohemian Rhapsody its pretry forgettable from poor direction and writing and awful film editing. 

Overall Grade: C

elvis_ver3.thumb.jpg.6bb17577a9aa0619512a9447af43c0ad.jpg

45 minutes ago, sateler96 said:

Elvis - Review (2022)

The Good
Austin Butler is great at Elvis Presley and surprisingly doesn't lip sync

Tom Hanks as Col. Tom Parker is also great even though his accent and later how he looks is cringe

The story of Elvis rise and fall is definitely worth to tell and they show almost all the bad shit hes done. 

The Elvis Songs

The Mixed
The Supporting Cast are Hit or Miss

The Bad
Baz Luhrmann's terrible Direction i always hated his Visual style it works for some movies, but not this they should of had the director of Walk the Line instead.

The screenplay of 4 writers definitely shows with alot of bad dialogue and cringe. 

Random terrible covers of other people singing elvis songs and terrible random rap songs. 

Its too fucking long

Some bd camera work and camera cuts and camera zooms basically the film editing is ass. 

Final Thoughts: Elvis has 2 great performances, but just like Bohemian Rhapsody its pretry forgettable from poor direction and writing and awful film editing. 

elvis_ver3.thumb.jpg.6bb17577a9aa0619512a9447af43c0ad.jpg

Glad you somewhat enjoyed this movie.

Minions: The Rise of Gru -  Short Review (2022)

If you love or enjoy the Despicable Me and Minions franchise then you will love or enjoy this movie its just dumb anamated fun with soem good heart and laughs and beautiful animation here and there, these mpvies are no where ever the best animation classics, but their just enjoyable movies. 

Overall Grade: B-

minions_the_rise_of_gru_ver3.thumb.jpg.72c6876175278b10fac9b0cf73670d1b.jpg

Thor: Love and Thunder - Review (2022)

The Good
Chris Hemsworth as Thor is always great we already know this. 

Natalie Portman as Jane Foster / Mighty Thor is great and finally given a serious character arc and her relationship with Thor works as she gives a great performance. 

Christian Bale as Gorr the God Butcher gives one of the best performances for a MCU Villain even though hes given such small screen time, but that only makes those these more important, all his scenes is where the jokes stop and ther serious shit begins. 

Russel Crowe hams it up a Zeus

The Emotional Beats worked alot. 

The Visual Effects and how the movie looks is breath taking. 

It does set up a more interesting 5th Thor Film

The 2 post credit scenes are great. 

The Bad 
Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie is very wasted as she doesn't get much to do and Marvel totally just forgot they were gonna give her a Queen like they said they were gonna do. 

Jamie Alexander's Sif js more of a glorified cameo.

The Guardians of the Galaxy are nice to see again in the opening, but i think the film could of used their pressence like we could of had Asgardians of the Galaxy for a whole film. 

Taika Waititi's's Korg lacks the impqct he had in Ragnarok. 

The Comedy is Very Hit and Miss, with it not being as good as Thor: Ragnarok, we got screaming Goat which gets annoying after awhile, and it messes with the Serious tone of Jane Foster's character arc and Christian Bale's Goor

The Comedy is so much it takes away from the stakes of the film. 

The Pacing is so fast for 119 minutes of the films runtime theres not enough breathing tim. 

The song choices are lazy since we get 4 Guns N Roses songs and one is November Rain during a fight scene that feels out of place, theres other great 80's songs we could of used. 

Its Safe and Vanilla and doesn't truly add anything huge to grand MCU plot that were getting with Kang the Conqueror 

Final Thoughts: Thor: Love and thunder is definitely one of the weakest MCU films to date and definitely no where as good as Thor: Ragnarok or Thor (2011), still better than Dark World, by a tiny bit, this is definitely one of the disappointing films of the year and Taika's weakest film of his career. 

Overall Grade: C+

q2sixe6ixb191.thumb.jpg.e1715e86411c94fc5cfc27439da4b715.jpg

Edited by sateler96

Thor: Love & Thunder- Review

The Positives:

• The story is fantastic IMO.
  • The CGI, visuals, and special effects are top notch.
  • The action throughout the film is epic and memorable.
  • Taiki Waititi's direction and vision was pretty good IMO.
  • The score done by Michael Giacchino and Nami Melumad is excellent.
  • The acting throughout the film is phenomenal.  You have Russell Crowe as Zeus, Jaime Alexander as Lady Sif, Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie, Taiki Waititi as Korg, Natalie Portman as Jane Foster/Mighty Thor & Chris Hemsworth as Thor.  However, the star of the film to me is Christian Bale as Gorr the God Butcher.  I gotta say that as much as I liked him as Batman in Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, I liked him even more as Gorr the God Butcher in this movie.  I absolutely loved the fact that they made him more of a sympathetic villain rather than as a stereotypical evil villain.
  • IMO, I felt that most of the comedy and humor landed very well.
  • The two credit scenes are fantastic, especially the first one.  OMG, the first one made me nerdgasm immensely.  Trust me on that.

The Negatives/Nitpicks:

• I felt that Jaime Alexander's Lady Sif was wasted in the movie.
  • Some of the humor I felt dragged on a bit too long especially the moments involving the goats.
  • While I felt the MCU did a great in adapting the whole Jane Foster becoming Thor thing from the comics, I felt that they could've explained how she became worthy of Mjolnir a bit better.

Overview: Thor: Love and Thunder is now way as bad nor mediocre as some people make it out to be.  Granted it is not quite as great as Thor: Ragnorak, but still, it is a great movie IMO.

Grade: A

• 4 weeks later...

Hello True Believers and newcomers alike and welcome to the grand finale of my Incredible Hulk finale here on the forums.  Today, I will conclude the marathon by giving you guys my long awaited review of the Incredible Hulk film from 2008.

So here we go.

The Incredible Hulk (2008 film)- Review

The Positives:

• The story is IMO fantastic.  In a lot of ways it reminded me of season 1 of the 1996 Incredible Hulk animated series.
  • I absolutely loved how the opening scene of the movie paid homage and tribute to the 1978 Incredible Hulk TV series that starred Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno.
  • Speaking of Lou Ferrigno, he along with the late and great Stan Lee make excellent cameos in the film.
  • Craig Armstrong's music score is beautiful.
  • The CGI, visuals, and special are still to this day top notch.  As far as I am concerned, this movie gave the us the best looking Hulk we've ever had on the big screen.
  • The action throughout the film is insane and epic.  The best action and fight scene in the film was the fight between Hulk and Abomination.
  • Louis Leterrier's direction is pretty solid IMO.
  • I really liked the fact that this film was willing to get very dark and gritty from time to time.
  • The cameo that features Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man still kicks ass IMO.
  • The acting throughout this film is superb.  You have the late William Hurt as General Ross, Tim Blake Nelsen as Samuel Sterns, Liv Tyler as Betty Ross, Ty Burrell as Leonard Samson, Tim Roth as Emil Blonsky/Abomination, and Lou Ferrigno providing the voice of the Hulk.  However, the star of the film to me was Edward Norton as Dr. Robert Bruce Banner.  He was awesome in this movie.

The Negatives/Nitpicks:

• While I primarily do have a few minor nitpicks here and there, my biggest pet peeve was the lack of showing of Hulk's immense regenerative capabilities especially during his fight with Abomination.  That still bothers me.

Overview: The incredible Hulk is IMO one of the most underrated and underappreciated installments in the MCU and films of all time.  I still to this day have a blast while watching this film.

Grade: A+

image.png.b406a23306ef97c93b4d9b7432ae674f.png

Prey - Review (2022)

The Good
Amber Midthunder as Naru gives a really great performance

Dane DiLiegro as the Predator js fucking badass

Dan Trachtenberg's direction 

Patrick Aison's simple as fuck script. 

The CARNAGE is awesome and so gory. 

The Final Battle is believable and badass. 

Sarah Schachner score. 

Jeff Cutter's Cinematography. 

The Bad 
The Visual Effects aren't perfect

Final Thoughts: Prey is easily the best Predator film since the original ans this should of been released in theaters. 

Overall Grade: A

1930254828_Prey-Poster-1-1-scaled.thumb.jpg.06a932421b9c2a513ea3fdd427aaf261.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sateler96 said:

Prey - Review (2022)

The Good

Sarah Schachner score. 

The Bad 

Final Thoughts: Prey is easily the best Predator film since the original ans this should of been released in theaters. 

1930254828_Prey-Poster-1-1-scaled.thumb.jpg.06a932421b9c2a513ea3fdd427aaf261.jpg

I've been hearing this was good.

Bullet Train - Review (2022)

The Good
Brad Pitt is fine in this (also another a white washing casting choice. 

Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Brian Tyree Henry are the best part of the film easily the steal every scene their in. 

The action is fine. 

David Leitch's Direction. 

The Cameoa are funny. 

The Bad
It should of been a Anime film 

The writing is good for certain characters, but alot of the humor doesnt work. 

Joey King as The Prince was fucking annoying and obviously her character supposed to be Japanese once again be white washed. 

If Sony thought Benito A. Martínez Ocasio “Bad Bunny”performance in this was woerhy of him vetitjng a Spider-Man Villain solo movie then they must be drunk. 

Ita over stylized 

Ita 30 minutes too long even tho the last act is crazy. 

Michael Shannon looks ridiculous. 

Logan Lerman is wasted. 

Alot of stuff works on a anime film not live action. 

Final Thoughts: Bullet Train i think if done in anime would of been a great film it being Americanized by dumbass Sony ita just fine.

bullet_train_ver3.thumb.jpg.39179cde9160f60c3325bfd719e6d14a.jpg

4 hours ago, sateler96 said:

Prey - Review (2022)

The Good

Sarah Schachner score. 

The Bad 

maybe we will see a AVP set in the 1700s?

14 hours ago, Darksphere992 said:

maybe we will see a AVP set in the 1700s?

Eh maybe the whole timeline confusing cause Predator 2 the had a Cenomorph skull but Prometheus and Covenant are in the far future and was gonna show how the xeno were made 

DC League of Super-Pets- Review

The Positives:

• The story is fantastic.
  • The animation, character design and character models are top notch.
  • The comedy throughout the film is hysterical.
  • Loved the Marvel references throughout especially the ones aimed at Iron Man and Thor.
  • The action is great.
  • The voice acting is phenomenal.  You have Keanu Reeves voicing Batman, Dwayne Johnson voicing Krypto the Super Dog, Kevin Hart voicing Ace the Bat-Hound, John Krasinski voicing Superman, Olivia Wilde voicing Lois Lane, and Kate McKinnon voicing Lulu

The Negatives:

• N/A

Overview: DC League of Super-Pets is an excellent film.  One of DC's best if you ask me.

Grade: A+

image.thumb.png.4f668531430f511be66c9fc66ac9962a.png

Nope - Review (2022)

The Good
Jordan Peele's ambitious and original direction in his 3rd outing. 

And his script even though being original took some inspiration from Spielberg along with the direction. 

Daniel Kaluuya and Keke Palmer's performance were definitely the heart of the movie and were the stand outs. 

Side performances from Brandon Perea, Steven Yeun, Keith David, and Michael Wincott. 

The wild 3rd Act. 

Hoyte van Hoytema's beautiful Cinematography. 

Michael Abels Score. 

The Bad
I say somethings people will probably hate about this movie. 

I didn't really understand 1 thing in the movie. 

Final Thoughts: Nope is another great film from Jordan Peele, that i definitely loved and think its his Close Encounters of the Third Kind. 

FB_IMG_1659837097590.thumb.jpg.8916ff1cc952c623dedc3504452781cc.jpg

52 minutes ago, sateler96 said:

Nope - Review (2022)

The Good
Jordan Peele's ambitious and original direction in his 3rd outing. 

And his script even though being original took some inspiration from Spielberg along with the direction. 

Daniel Kaluuya and Keke Palmer's performance were definitely the heart of the movie and were the stand outs. 

Side performances from Brandon Perea, Steven Yeun, Keith David, and Michael Wincott. 

The wild 3rd Act. 

Hoyte van Hoytema's beautiful Cinematography. 

Michael Abels Score. 

The Bad
I say somethings people will probably hate about this movie. 

I didn't really understand 1 thing in the movie. 

Final Thoughts: Nope is another great film from Jordan Peele, that i definitely loved and think its his Close Encounters of the Third Kind. 

FB_IMG_1659837097590.thumb.jpg.8916ff1cc952c623dedc3504452781cc.jpg

Based on the trailers I saw for this movie, it looked crazy as hell.

DC League of Super-Pets - Review (2022)

The Good
The Voice acting js fine for the most part -
The Rock and Kevin Hart ad Krypto and Ace are fine,

Diego Luna as Chip

And Thomas Middleditch and Ben Schwartz  are good as well.

Daveed Diggs only one who fit his voice as Cyborg.

The Bad
Jared Stern's Direction

Jared Stern and John Whittington's script is pretty too childish and stupid its just alot of loud screaming and lame jokes for kids to be entertained and parents to roll their eyes at.

The Animation isn't that impressive.

Kate McKinnon was annoying as the villain.

Vanessa Bayer as PB was also annoying.

Most voice acting don't match well like
John Krasinski voice as Superman , Marc Maron as Lex Luthor, Jemaine Clement as Aquaman, Jameela Jamil as Wonder Woman, John Early as The Flash, Keanu Reeves as Batman, Dascha Polanco as Green Lantern.

The post credit scene is just basically who the fuck cares

Final Thought: i can see why DC League of Super-Pets bombed cause its nothing special it will definitely be forgotten by the end of the year its no where near the best of DC or WB animation.

dc_league_of_superpets_ver6.thumb.jpg.bdbd98fbd42285c680669db46ecc8327.jpg

14 minutes ago, sateler96 said:

DC League of Super-Pets - Review (2022)

The Good
The Voice acting js fine for the most part -
The Rock and Kevin Hart ad Krypto and Ace are fine,

Diego Luna as Chip

And Thomas Middleditch and Ben Schwartz  are good as well.

Daveed Diggs only one who fit his voice as Cyborg.

The Bad
Jared Stern's Direction

Jared Stern and John Whittington's script is pretty too childish and stupid its just alot of loud screaming and lame jokes for kids to be entertained and parents to roll their eyes at.

The Animation isn't that impressive.

Kate McKinnon was annoying as the villain.

Vanessa Bayer as PB was also annoying.

Most voice acting don't match well like
John Krasinski voice as Superman , Marc Maron as Lex Luthor, Jemaine Clement as Aquaman, Jameela Jamil as Wonder Woman, John Early as The Flash, Keanu Reeves as Batman, Dascha Polanco as Green Lantern.

The post credit scene is just basically who the fuck cares

Final Thought: i can see why DC League of Super-Pets bombed cause its nothing special it will definitely be forgotten by the end of the year its no where near the best of DC or WB animation.

dc_league_of_superpets_ver6.thumb.jpg.bdbd98fbd42285c680669db46ecc8327.jpg

WOW!!

I'm sorry you didn't like it as much as my brother and I did.