Music Overlay

WowDude

There seems to be a 75/25 split on the music, mostly on the positive side. Hate to say it but the "Dead air" in the BG of DSP Tries It has been bothering ME for years. Wasn't until last year that I had access to music thanks to Machinima and I wanted to implement it, but honestly I was a bit lazy.

Some people have issue with the choice of music - yeah, it's MEANT to be a bit cheesy and elevator-like for laughs. I thought it fit perfectly, and I think the reason people aren't liking it is simply because they're not adaptive to change.

I am toying with the idea of lowering the volume on it a bit more, but listening to it through speakers it sounded fine and never overpowered my voice.

Would be interesting to get a few more opinions w/reasoning other than "I just like or dislike it." Thanks.

Generally, when you watch to any vlog style video or review the focus is suppose to be on the talking, is it not? The music just ends up being a distraction. Just watch any popular food review channel, none of them have back round music. It just doesn't fit during a review.

It's nice you're trying improve your content, there's nothing wrong with change, but as the old saying goes, if something isn't broken, don't fix it.

I have to agree that the music doesn't quite fit. I don't think you should do away with background music though, it's a nice touch, just pick a different song to go in the background. Here's a site you can use to find tons of royalty free music: http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/music.html I think Somewhere Sunny (Ver 2), Fretless, or Life of Riley from that site could work well at a lowered volume. They're fairly unobtrusive as background music.

Another suggestion I'd like to make is putting your camera on your tripod to film DSP Tries it. As it is the camera shakes around way too much. Just put it in place of the chair on the other side of the table and hold the food up to it.

Edited by GaspinGeckos

First, I already have access to a library of tens of thousands of songs through Machinima, so no need for royalty-free music. But I'd appreciate suggestions on what STYLE of music you'd think would fit better?

Second, tripod is out. We're eating dinner here, and there's no room for massive setup of a tripod in our dining room. DSP Tries It works because it's a series that's quick to do, fun to do, and we can do it relatively easily. This isn't a formal studio with massive production value; it's me eating a fast food product. It's been on handheld cam since its inception and will continue to be so, or else we'll never actually get to eat dinner.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Second, tripod is out. We're eating dinner here, and there's no room for massive setup of a tripod in our dining room. DSP Tries It works because it's a series that's quick to do, fun to do, and we can do it relatively easily. This isn't a formal studio with massive production value; it's me eating a fast food product. It's been on handheld cam since its inception and will continue to be so, or else we'll never actually get to eat dinner.

It takes two seconds to set up a tripod and they're not that big, I know because I've used them before. It's not some arduous time consuming process or a piece of equipment that takes up massive amounts of room. A tripod takes up the same amount of space as a chair. The only difference would be Leanna has to sit on a different side of the table and doesn't have to hold the camera. Why are you so against making changes to your shows? At this point you've had to change every piece of your content, but DSP Tries it can't change?

Edited by GaspinGeckos

RE: tripod

I absolutely think Phil should adopt one. I think they'd really up the production value and make DSP Tries It a much more aesthetically pleasing series to watch.

For example, take a look at a ROTW's videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheReportOfTheWeek/videos

It depends on Phil's ultimate goal for the series, I guess. If he wants it to catch on and became something of a niche favourite, I don't think passing around a camera back and forth is going to cut it any longer. But if Phil is happy with the look/performance (views) of the series as it is now, then why fix what he doesn't think is broken?

(Another thing about the ROTW videos I recommend Phil take note of: the conversational/casual vibe to them. Instead of just talking about the food, the taste, price and rating, ROTW gets a little more personal with viewers and as a result he's amassed a fanbase of people who care about him on a personal level, not just on a 'Food Critic' level.

14 hours ago, Davey_J_Jr said:

Obvious innit, it takes away the old style of the video, everything should have music dubbed in it even if it's very low. Otherwise it's like the old videos he's moving away from.

So....no matter what the change is to a video, as long as there's a change, it's an improvement? OK THEN.

9 minutes ago, Sammy_Samosa said:

If 75% of the audience say it's an improvement, then yes, it is.

Not when a more vocal minority of that audience thinks any change Phil makes is an improvement. Is adding background music itself an improvement? Yes, if the music fits and adds to the experience. I couldn't focus on what what Phil was saying because the music kept distracting me. It stood out too much.

8 minutes ago, GaspinGeckos said:

Not when a more vocal minority of that audience thinks any change Phil makes is an improvement. Is adding background music itself an improvement? Yes, if the music fits and adds to the experience. I couldn't focus on what what Phil was saying because the music kept distracting me. It stood out too much.

The music was fine. The volume was a little high, though. He said he'll turn it down a notch.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sammy_Samosa said:

If 75% of the audience say it's an improvement, then yes, it is.

Looking at the YouTube comments it certainly doesn't look like 75%. I saw one comment from a user named "XxDemonxX961" that got 103 thumbs up to do away with the music. Then there's a mix of "keep it" and "get rid of it" comments.

On 2/10/2016 at 1:31 AM, WowDude said:

Looking at the YouTube comments it certainly doesn't look like 75%. I saw one comment from a user named "XxDemonxX961" that got 103 thumbs up to do away with the music. Then there's a mix of "keep it" and "get rid of it" comments.

For that to be conclusive you'd have to provide evidence how likely users would leave comments if they just liked the video. People are more likely to leave comments if they have something to bitch and complain about. 

12 hours ago, Davey_J_Jr said:

For that to be conclusive you'd have to provide evidence how likely users would leave comments if they just liked the video. People are more likely to leave comments if they have something to bitch and complain about. 

What does that mean? I was pointing out that one comment which said to do away with the music got the most attention, while the other comments saying to keep the music or get rid of it looked to be a 50/50 split over all. Granted, this observation was made a few days after Phil's 75/25 comment, so a lot of people hadn't seen the video yet.

The majority right now seems to be against having the music. Not that it matters much anyway, since Phil will just keep the music because he wants it there.

21 hours ago, Darksphere92 said:

i swear to the lord above why do people hate this band?

It's wuss rock, in my opinion. Same as Nickelback.

• 5 years later...