DSP's Game of the Year Awards 2014

MasterOfAwesomeness

Five Nights at Freddy's would have been in the top ten list or honorable mention if Phil didnt decide to play it in bright daylight and not giving a chance to start. He was immediately bored and after 30 minutes what looked like a chore to him he quit the game. Five Nights at Freddy's, just as Dust: An Elysian Tail, is a great example what a single person can create, given enough determination, time and creativity.

Five Nights at Freddy's would have been in the top ten list or honorable mention if Phil didnt decide to play it in bright daylight and not giving a chance to start. He was immediately bored and after 30 minutes what looked like a chore to him he quit the game. Five Nights at Freddy's, just as Dust: An Elysian Tail, is a great example what a single person can create, given enough determination, time and creativity.

​um.... That game is utter crap (freddys). Pixellated non-scary garbage only made popular by youtube "gamers" who act scared for views. Theres nothing scary whatsoever about the game, its a piece of shit and you really need to wake up.

• Upvote 6

​um.... That game is utter crap (freddys). Pixellated non-scary garbage only made popular by youtube "gamers" who act scared for views. Theres nothing scary whatsoever about the game, its a piece of shit and you really need to wake up.

​It's "utter crap" and "non-scary" to you Phil. You don't need to shove your opinions down other people's throats. Also, I agree with you about it's popularity.....if it wasn't up to three games now. Because if it was a "piece of shit" no one would've bought the second one, but they did and it was popular enough to get a third entry in the series. Just saying.

​But I thought you were okay with other people disagreeing with you.

ss+(2015-01-17+at+07.26.16).png

• Upvote 2

So I've decided to buy and play whichever game Phil choose for GOTY. Should I start with DA:O and II, or will Inquisition be great just on it's own?

​DA:O, then DA:II, then DA:I. I've completed the first and most of the second and jumped the last bit and started Inquisition. Not played it in a while though.

​um.... That game is utter crap (freddys). Pixellated non-scary garbage only made popular by youtube "gamers" who act scared for views. Theres nothing scary whatsoever about the game

​I agree I don't understand the love for that game personally. It just shattered my ear drums trying to get a jump scare with loud audio and wasn't scary. The last part of your statement was rude and uncalled for though.

​You could of just play the game alone in the dark with all of the lights off If you want the actual experience, but I understand if you're not willing to do so.

You're all entitled to like games that I consider crap and vice versa. That's the joy of life: we all have free will, with our own personal likes and dislikes. Because I personally hate something doesn't mean others won't like it, but it also doesn't mean I don't have a right to hate it.

Anyway my GOTY awards concluded and curious what people have to say about the actual countdown rather than being butthurt I didn't like an insanely sub-par game (IMO).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Stop baiting Phil.

The game was crap, it had next to no animation except for the automatons and the gameplay elements are the same, boring sequence from start to finish. Most of the areas in that game were just pictures. It's ok for people to like the game, but it was still crap.

​Its all subjective. There have been plenty of games with simple concepts and are not too deep that people fall in love with. 

Games like E.T. and Pitfighter for the SNES are crap. I can't say anything good nor bad about FNAF but there was at least there was effort and work put into the game. 

You're all entitled to like games that I consider crap and vice versa. That's the joy of life: we all have free will, with our own personal likes and dislikes. Because I personally hate something doesn't mean others won't like it, but it also doesn't mean I don't have a right to hate it.

Anyway my GOTY awards concluded and curious what people have to say about the actual countdown rather than being butthurt I didn't like an insanely sub-par game (IMO).

​Surprised you didn't have Shovel Knight on at least honorable mentions. Thought given you did like Ducktales, Castlevania and Mega Man that you might have liked the game. Actually thought it might have made the top 10, I remember you really enjoying playing the game. 

​And that free will keeps me from returning some of your statements the way you deliver them here. People are not butthurt (that's a term people at our age should not use to make a point anymore) about you not liking certain games, people point out that you didn't judge every game the same way. For example FNaF it was as far as I remember one the few games where you with head cam, but one could see you were already bored before even starting the game, never making it far into the game and doing like everything to kill the mood the game wants to provide. Bright daylight, sunshine through your blinds etc.

Anyways, your top ten list of games 2014 looks pretty solid. I can understand why the top four games ranked so high. But that's it. No real surprise or inspiration. It might be with the fact that you limit yourself to console games. For example Angry Joe also included games like The Banner Saga (PC) in his list. While I am no big PC player at all, I think you missed out some good titles there.

Yet still, FNaF was a great game for what it is. I mean, come up with a story like that, it was original, crazy and was all 80s cheap horror movies.

• Upvote 1

I reckon if you'd played Jazzpunk, South Park wouldn't have ranked as your "funniest game of 2014". Jazzpunk is hilarious all the way through, although it's quite short it's only $15.

I agree with the sentiment that you really missed out on some games this year, seemingly more than usual. Just off the top of my head, critically acclaimed games like Divinity: Original Sin, The Talos Principle, Jazzpunk, This Was Of Mine, Kentucky Route Zero, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Hearthstone, Door Kickers, Nidhogg, Luftrausers etc. were all amazing games in their own right. You'd have loved The Talos Principle especially, absolutely superb game. I think for this year, you should pick and choose your indie titles a bit better. Perhaps keep your finger on the pulse of the games getting buzz on Steam and sites like Giant Bomb would give you a better idea of what somewhat "under the radar" games you should give a shot. The rogue-like genre caters well to let's plays - think of how much time you put into Don't Starve - so it's a shame that you skip games like Rogue Legacy, The Binding of Isaac, This War Of Mine and the likes when they're all arguably considered even better (although different) than a game like Don't Starve.

I'm personally much more interested in seeing/hearing your experience/opinion on critically acclaimed indie titles than you playing painfully average console releases like Sonic Boom, Little Big Planet 3 and the vast amount of HD remakes you've been playing.