DSP Gaming

Will DSP ever hit 'Mainstream' again?

FloydMayweather

2 hours ago, Squid_Girl said:

How does that prove he changes? I fail to see what this has to do with Phil changing something involving his YouTube Career.

You're expecting a logical response from Bailey? Good luck with that.....

But i do agree on the change thing. Phil's very proud to do things the way he does it and is unlikely to change. He even lists it as a selling point of his.

Kinda set in his ways as it were.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Nation said:

You're expecting a logical response from Bailey? Good luck with that.....

But i do agree on the change thing. Phil's very proud to do things the way he does it and is unlikely to change. He even lists it as a selling point of his.

Kinda set in his ways as it were.

Can't blame a Squid for trying. But I know that Phil has outright said he only wants advice if it means not having to do anything Drastic, and as I've said in this very thread, a coat of paint isn't going to save him.

3 hours ago, TraditionalGames said:

I would actually disagree with the change thing. KOGaming was a huge change for him. It's DSPGaming that he doesn't change which actually makes sense. If you record a full playthrough why wouldn't you upload all the footage if you have one channel for that and another for the edited version?

But that makes DSPGaming stagnate. Barely 3% of his subscribers watch him because they've seen all he has to offer. Phil's humor and commentary (especially as of late) as become interchangeable. In a lot of his newer LPs, you could take his commentary and edit it into another LP with minimum effort I'd better.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TraditionalGames said:

I would actually disagree with the change thing. KOGaming was a huge change for him. It's DSPGaming that he doesn't change which actually makes sense. If you record a full playthrough why wouldn't you upload all the footage if you have one channel for that and another for the edited version?

To be fair it did take 8 years, many of which involved people telling Phil to make content like KOGaming content, before he eventually went and made that change.

So the refusal to change point is still valid.

3 hours ago, Nation said:

To be fair it did take 8 years, many of which involved people telling Phil to make content like KOGaming content, before he eventually went and made that change.

So the refusal to change point is still valid.

How? Doesn't matter if he was initially stubborn. The fact is he did make the change. That's worth some credit.

4 hours ago, Squid_Girl said:

Can't blame a Squid for trying. But I know that Phil has outright said he only wants advice if it means not having to do anything Drastic, and as I've said in this very thread, a coat of paint isn't going to save him.

But that makes DSPGaming stagnate. Barely 3% of his subscribers watch him because they've seen all he has to offer. Phil's humor and commentary (especially as of late) as become interchangeable. In a lot of his newer LPs, you could take his commentary and edit it into another LP with minimum effort I'd better.

Well my prediction is that after a few more high profile reviews KOGaming will become his main channel and DSPGaming will become an archive channel with quantity over quality.

Well my prediction is that after a few more high profile reviews KOGaming will become his main channel and DSPGaming will become an archive channel with quantity over quality.

I have my doubts. KOGaming missed it's chance to capitalize on any success with the Homefront video. And the odds of a high profile review has REALLY went down since then - namely since a lot of people already learned the KOGaming and DSP are the same (not that it's hard to figure out), and beyond clickbait he doesn't have much to draw someone to his videos thanks to leaving the character of DSP behind and not being a very insightful gamer. It's not even that his reviews suck or anything quite like that (oddly enough, I've never thought his reviews were anything too bad), but rather he doesn't have any draw to KOGaming right now.

I think it's that the last few games no one gave a shit about. Even though Deus Ex was an AAA game people kind of knew what to expect. I think the reviews that are successful are the ones that have an interesting argument. For example his Mighty No. 9 review did well. That was because everyone was panning it but then there was a review that appeared to be mixed. It doesn't really have to be about being negative. To quote one of my professors "People will be more intrested in a thesis that argues it should be illegal to wear seatbelts than the other way around."

With that said I think the PSVR video will help put him on the map.

I think it's that the last few games no one gave a shit about. Even though Deus Ex was an AAA game people kind of knew what to expect. I think the reviews that are successful are the ones that have an interesting argument. For example his Mighty No. 9 review did well. That was because everyone was panning it but then there was a review that appeared to be mixed. It doesn't really have to be about being negative. To quote one of my professors "People will be more intrested in a thesis that argues it should be illegal to wear seatbelts than the other way around."

With that said I think the PSVR video will help put him on the map.

Your first Paragraph brings up some good points

As for PSVR, It could put him on the map. However, it's rather or not he tries to go anywhere after the fact is what hurts him more than anything.

Kogaming game reviews will only be successful if ppl start thinking of phil when they need some info on the game. Imo he needs to be more in depth with his reviews if he wants it to pull ppl in. Right now i think  (at least for me) just watch his reviews bcos i want to know what he thinks of the game or his reaction. Phil has never been the info guy and the main attraction of his is still how he experiences it, which does not always reflect the quality of the game.

Unless he wants to capitalize on reacting to games and vids, but that would require overeacting to some extent to pull ppl in and i dont think he wants that nor do i.

7 hours ago, TraditionalGames said:

How? Doesn't matter if he was initially stubborn. The fact is he did make the change. That's worth some credit.

I'm not saying it's not worth credit. I'm just saying it took such a long time to change. You can't say someone is not unwilling to change if it takes years of people repeatedly telling him to do something before he did it.

Like Direct Capture, Phil refused to adopt it and he wouldn't have if it was clear people prefer to watch direct capture over camcorder videos.

He did change which is note worthy but it he didn't change until he HAD to.

7 hours ago, TraditionalGames said:

That could be possible and if that even did happen i have no idea how Phil would feel about that.

6 hours ago, Nation said:

I'm not saying it's not worth credit. I'm just saying it took such a long time to change. You can't say someone is not unwilling to change if it takes years of people repeatedly telling him to do something before he did it.

Like Direct Capture, Phil refused to adopt it and he wouldn't have if it was clear people prefer to watch direct capture over camcorder videos.

He did change which is note worthy but it he didn't change until he HAD to.

That could be possible and if that even did happen i have no idea how Phil would feel about that.

No you say he WAS unwilling to change.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bailey_Dakota said:

How is DSP not mainstream? He appears in searches on Youtube a lot if I do searches for reviews. :unsure:

Please don't take this the wrong way because I'm really not trying to shit on Phil for the sake of it, merely pointing out facts. Of course Phil is gonna show up in search results for you if you're a subscriber and regular viewer. But for the average joe out there looking for gameplay or reviews, he's much less likely to show up. Wanna know a great way to find out if I'm telling the truth. Try searching for example Mafia 3 right now when not signed into your account or even an incognito browser. I think you'll find the results enlightening.

Edited by superrambo94

4 hours ago, TraditionalGames said:

No you say he WAS unwilling to change.

On those two subject yes. He still uploads everything raw completely unedited footage though. Take his Bloodborne DLC videos. Did he have to upload every single second of that boss fight? No. Would most people skip the videos because it's literally the same failed boss fight over and over? Yes. Would most youtuber's either make all those hours into a supercut? Yes.

Yes phil WAS unwilling to change on those two subjects but there's still the other stuff Phil is unwilling to change on unless he has to.

And no offense to Phil but if you only change WHEN you have to then you're not willing to change. You are forced to change.

5 hours ago, Nation said:

On those two subject yes. He still uploads everything raw completely unedited footage though. Take his Bloodborne DLC videos. Did he have to upload every single second of that boss fight? No. Would most people skip the videos because it's literally the same failed boss fight over and over? Yes. Would most youtuber's either make all those hours into a supercut? Yes.

Yes phil WAS unwilling to change on those two subjects but there's still the other stuff Phil is unwilling to change on unless he has to.

And no offense to Phil but if you only change WHEN you have to then you're not willing to change. You are forced to change.

True but again that's the point of DSPGaming. To release all the footage for those who appreciate it. That's also 10-20 videos a day times a few thousand views.

In short I don't think DSPGaming needs to change.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2016 at 7:39 PM, TraditionalGames said:

True but again that's the point of DSPGaming. To release all the footage for those who appreciate it. That's also 10-20 videos a day times a few thousand views.

In short I don't think DSPGaming needs to change.

honestly theres a few youtube channels that upload all the footage unedited. Theres actually an easy fix for this that i believe has been suggested before. if phil insists he needs to keep streaming thats fine and he should do it if he truly enjoys it. the easy fix to increase viewer retention through his entire playthrough is to slow down his upload speed maybe build a buffer out of gameplay and release maybe 2-5 videos a day on a timed release schedule throughout the day so that those watching the videos can easily keep up with the full playthrough. he could mix up the upload schedule between his various playthroughs.

45 minutes ago, markymark52 said:

A lot of people come to his channel for his raw gameplay and don't like abridged versions. Additionally, editing 100 plus parts of a playthrough would take a significant amount of time and would delay him from uploading consistently and promptly. If you don't like a certain section of a playthrough, you can obviously skip it or fast forward to any point you'd like.

It sounds like I'm in the minority, but a big part of the reason I watch Phil is that everything is impromptu and I get a more of a sense of game's difficulty. It's also fun to see if he struggled on a certain mission/task/puzzle and comparing it to how I did when I played the game. If he edited all of his content on DSPgaming, I'd stop watching altogether.

True but judging by Phil's low view count it's obvious a lot more people aren't interested in Phil's raw gameplay (or his commentary) and judging by how channels like Tears of Grace or even KOGaming did, a lot of people like the abridged content. SO MANY youtuber's do edit 100 plus parts of a playthrough, even if it's tiny edits and a lot of them rise to insane popularity. It doesn't have to be colossal edits but some editing clearly goes a long way and 0 editing quite clearly doesn't or Phil's content would be far more appealing to people than it currently is.
As for saying "If you don't like a part you can obviously skip it" is basically the problem Phil is having. If people are being advised to skip his videos what's the point? If a video is skipped it gets no views and then no money. So making videos people are likely to skip is just a waste of time.

Quite frankly i don't believe that. A large number of youtubers play games and have everything impromptu (Jesse Cox, Cry, Markiplier, Jacksepticeye, etc) so what exactly makes Phil different? 

I feel like the biggest issue is when people say "Editing" or "Edited" here they think of Tear of Grace and not literally every regular let's player ever.

And again, i'm not saying Phil should be ToG. I'm just saying if you have a 3 hours boss fight and get nowhere does every second need to be uploaded? Even when you say in the video "No one is going to watch this, they'll just skip it". 

Need to back track 15 minutes? Cut it out or up it on fast forward. Anything.

Again, a little editing can go a long way and if the tiniest bit of editing will make you stop watching Phil then....well i have nothing to say about that.

1 hour ago, TraditionalGames said:

But if he hasthe footage why not upload al of it? DSPGaming is for quantity and that's why it lasted this long. KOGaming is for abridged content (Once he finally commits to it that is).

Is that a good thing though? Yeah it's Phil's big selling point but is sheer quantity a good thing? Especially when a lot of it can just be skipped and thus be loss of income?
As with the "why it's lasted this long", that's not exactly a good thing. It's only allowed him to last so long because of the amount of views each video gets collectively, as opposed to making his videos more appealing to a wider audience which would get more views than what he does currently with the quantity > quality approach 

7 minutes ago, TraditionalGames said:

Again I like DSPGaming the way it is and feel edited playthroughs should be on KOGaming. Because if you're going to edit your gameplay it means you still have the raw footage to upload. There's absolutely no reason you can't do both.

Tell that to Hits of the week.

If Phil can't justify the time taken quickly then he wont see the point in doing it.

And he's done playthrough montages before. And again, couldn't justify the time it took to make them and stopped.

15 minutes ago, TraditionalGames said:

Again I like DSPGaming the way it is and feel edited playthroughs should be on KOGaming. Because if you're going to edit your gameplay it means you still have the raw footage to upload. There's absolutely no reason you can't do both.

Yes, there are people who like Phil's videos the way they are but it's become clear that it's not enough people. Phil's style of playthrough just isn't popular anymore. He needs to work on appealing to a mainstream audience and the easiest way to do that is light editing in his playthroughs. Stuff like cutting out random encounters in a JRPG or travel in an open world game or doing the same part over and over in a difficult game. We don't need to see every single step to know what the game is like. There's a balance he can strike where he shows just enough without it dragging on too long. Honestly though, would you really stop watching Phil's videos if he decided to cut out every battle with a rattata after the first one in Sun/Moon or going across the map in Watch Dogs 2?

Edited by BreegullBash

20 minutes ago, Nation said:

Tell that to Hits of the week.

If Phil can't justify the time taken quickly then he wont see the point in doing it.

And he's done playthrough montages before. And again, couldn't justify the time it took to make them and stopped.

So you're saying he should stop what's been working on DSPGaming by replacing it with something that didn't work in the past.