DSP Gaming

My thoughts on the state of DSPGaming

BreegullBash

3 hours ago, TraditionalGames said:

Oh trust me I'm not rich by a longshot. I just have enough to occasionally treat myself/others.

To be fair there have been two reasonable theories posted here that I would like your opinion on.

1) The people "Engaging" are the live stream viewers hence less views on the videos

2) The dislikes and views are down because the trolls are less active.

1. This isn't correct, as the metric is split. There's stream engagement and on demand video engagement. BOTH are actually up this month. So no, it's not that, but that was a really good idea.

2. Dislikes going down, yes, that could be possible, but not the increase in likes that's also happening. And honestly, I haven't seen any decrease in "trolling activities" at all; same idiots spamming negative comments etc. on the videos. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

1. This isn't correct, as the metric is split. There's stream engagement and on demand video engagement. BOTH are actually up this month. So no, it's not that, but that was a really good idea.

2. Dislikes going down, yes, that could be possible, but not the increase in likes that's also happening. And honestly, I haven't seen any decrease in "trolling activities" at all; same idiots spamming negative comments etc. on the videos. 

I suggested this before but try to see if the % Decrease in views matches up with the decrease in dislikes. If it's close then maybe the solution really is to attract more fans.

Phil,

I watched your 2 recent vids about the state of DSPG.  Entirely.  To show that I am a avid follower and want to try to help out.  I hope this post gets the 5 mins of your time to ponder (I signed up to this forum just because of what I heard in the 2 vids).  I have been watching you for at least 2 years now, and although I don't have time anymore to wander forums and the like, I wanted to say something on this serious topic.

I watch some of your vids religiously... I'll be honest DSP tries it is my favorite.   I am in my late thirties now, and still game on console..however PC time is just not there anymore... perhaps if I was 5 or 10 years younger I would be investing a lot more time in watching your gaming videos, I apologize but my offline life has taken priority.  That being said, you are still one of my favorite channels to watch.

I'm not about to comment on the stats and all of that.  I won't dig that deep into analytics like you and your most loyal followers do, however I have some comments about what you talked about in that 1+ hr long vid.

1) I, similarly to many others come to your site to relax, kick back and enjoy some good information, or good entertainment... needing a break from my day in the real world, and to keep up on certain topics I find interesting.  You are a very informative streamer, almost to a fault.  I personally enjoy the vids where you are playing games and funny shit happens.  Your reaction to this stuff is hilarious and it makes my day.  The enjoyment you get is contagious, almost addictive and that's what initially had me subscribing and coming back for more.  I have found lately there is less of this and probably the reason I have been watching less.

2) As a one man show.. I do think the channels you have are spreading you too thin.  You sound overworked in your video, stressed about making the business work.  I sincerely would consider simplifying and focussing on what you do best, the things that made you popular in the first place.  I think in this day and age, like Will Ferrell said, "If you're not first your last"... in other words, this industry you are in is cutthroat and diluted since there are so many out there right now.  I believe if you don't want to change much on your delivery model, I think this will remain a hobby and not thrive as a business.  You state that you don't want to be rich but yet you talk of 10% of your KO gaming channel donating a dollar, this would make you rich in my opinion... 200k per month revenue (less whatever costs there are... I'm not familiar with the fees associated with YT or Patreon).  A suggestion perhaps would be to set a tangible financial goal per month and stick to it.  If you reach it, great, if not, ask why to your audience and be as dynamic in your scheduling as possible.

3) I've been doing what you asked and have been liking videos and watching ads... I don't use ad blockers and haven't as I watch mostly on mobile and don't find them intrusive.  But really this call for help has me liking videos out of pity, and I don't like that as much as the next fan.  I did take this video as an act of desperation... I am as disappointed in that as you are... it sounded like a sponsor a child telethon for a couple minutes.    I want to like your vids because I truly want to share it and make the point that "this video has great content, or was really enjoyable".  I will repeat what others have said about twitch... not to switch over to it, but I found that network more collaborative or interactive... I remember you always checking chat (IRC or however it worked) and doing live interaction with the people in the room.. I don't see that as much as I used to.  I feel your broadcasts and videos have left you more isolated as of late, and not as connected as they once were with your followers.  You don't have to make 'reality tv' as you say, but I think the social aspect needs to be rekindled.  

4) I enjoy your personality more than anything, and maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't care what games you are playing... the entertainment factor is a large part of why I watch videos.  Informational videos are great too, reviews and the like, however I do find your reviews a little too time consuming for me...If I want to know whether I should go get a game, I find a video no longer than 10 minutes works for me (similar to your DSP tries it approximate lengths)..Again I will reiterate that real (offline) life takes more and more time the older you get.. maybe this is becoming a factor for you as well... just a possible observation.  

5) I have heard you talk a lot about business models and business sense.  You are condemning people for their model because it's disgusting or fake or whatever, however at the end of the day it is making money... and if that is not at least 50% of why you are streaming... STOP NOW.  The people ultimately decide a business' fate.  Look at EA, look at others... if a shitty game comes out and aspects of it need to be changed or patched.. the peoples comments drive that change, or the game dies.  My god, look at No Man's sky... the creators made it the way they wanted, and when the people cried foul, did it change to accommodate?  No!  I think the same goes for these streaming businesses in the fact that they do need to change to fulfill the desires of the viewers TO SOME DEGREE.  Sure I think a little variety will help.. wear a cool hat or a different colored tshirt once inwhile.. maybe an accessory to talk about in a video.. these are all aspects to which I think fans will appreciate.  Give stuff for people to chat and buzz about, hell coin new phrases for all I care.. .I think that shit is hilarious.

6)  You spoke about shipping games to peopel costing over $1k... do you have the ability to get download keys for people to win?  Digital only?  Just another suggestion.

7) Yes I will admit, I haven't donated to Patreon, the only donation I have made was to a channel on Twitch.. primarily because I enjoy the games, the information and the antics that go with it... its social media.  Plain and simple.  To see you connect with some other big name gamers or reviewers or whatever I think would seriously bolster your popularity.

I don't have much else to say other than I will continue watching your channel regardless of what happens.  I would keep the details of the state of affairs out of the public eye.  Sure you can ask for donations however I think if it becomes too visible an issue in your channel, it will go like the stock market... people will invest their time and money elsewhere.  I can only give one other piece of advice.. and it's the oldest cliche.. don't put your eggs all in one basket.  I shudder at the 8 year investment into streaming alone, but that is my personal view only.  I do sincerely hope it works out for you and I wish you all the success you desire.  I would not rule out the possibility of using this business to subsidize an offline career as well.  I hope this hasn't come off as all negative, and hopefully some of it may be contrued as constructive criticism. 

All the best.  Keep your head up. 

-Bless1d

I donated a $1 Phil cause I want you to win, but I follow Rich and I partially stand with him about your hypocrisy with other creators and donations.

65.png

You can't hate how people ask for donation's and run ad's on Twitch when you do the same thing on YouTube. That hour long video had FIVE advertisements on them, even one of them was 15 minutes long and I just went to the store and came back so I can support you. I think after 8 years of business relying on the kindness of strangers donations shouldn't be expected to hold water after the holidays when being thankful and gratuitous to other's is out of season. During these month's you should really slow down and put together a gameplan for what needs to be done after the holidays. You really need to contact other Youtubers and get advice from them and not from us, we have no clue what the day to day perils of running a YouTube business are, that's probably why none of the suggestions from us fans have been fruitful. Call or Contact a more successful Youtuber, hell call Rich, he said himself he doesn't hate you and he will sure give you some advice. Overall just learn how to have fun playing video games again and I think your channel will dramatically improve, but most of all contact one of your co-workers in the field for better advice.

Edited by Imogene
  • Upvote 3

When he complains about people asking for donations he's talking about people that interrupt their gameplay stream to ask for donations or look at a monitor off to the side to read the names of subscribers which disrupts gameplay multiple times. The 15 minute video ad isn't Phil's fault that's youtube's fault.  Phil's situation is not his fault. because his videos would show up in youtube search if those fraudulent copyright strikes were never filed. They were fraudulent because the form that the filer filled out was filled with gibberish.

^To be fair, it seems that Phil wants to ask for support in a way that won't directly affect his "on demand" videos. If he started giving shou-touts to each persons that subs to his Twitch channel, it would fuck up the immersion. I think he would have even less fun playing video games if he had to constantly remind himself to give shoutouts or plaster a patreon link in his video's HUD. I wouldn't call him doomed, he'd just have to rely on free stuff more and do more milking on multiplayer heavy games (if he can't raise the revenue, try to lower the cost) and to collabs with smaller youtubers in co-op heavy games to help with his word-of-mouth marketing (if likes are up and views are down, it must have to do with the marketing rather than the quality).

3 hours ago, Tahdel said:

When he complains about people asking for donations he's talking about people that interrupt their gameplay stream to ask for donations or look at a monitor off to the side to read the names of subscribers which disrupts gameplay multiple times. The 15 minute video ad isn't Phil's fault that's youtube's fault.  Phil's situation is not his fault. because his videos would show up in youtube search if those fraudulent copyright strikes were never filed. They were fraudulent because the form that the filer filled out was filled with gibberish.

Ok can we please bury these copyright strike complaints? Its been well over a year since they happened, time to move on. Does MrTechnicalDifficult still complain about his original channel being taken down? Nope. Does KEEMSTAR still complain about the 5 or 6 other channels including two DramaAlert channels being taken down? Nope. Does Angry Joe still complain about Nintendo content being taken down on his channel? Well kinda, but he doesn't state it so often. All these Youtuber's adapted, changed their content and persevered past those hurdles. It's time for Phil to do the same instead of using it as a crutch when the going gets tough.

On the interruptions that streamers do on Twitch. YouTube does on Phil's streams too, it's just Phil has no control over when or what ad's run during his streams or uploaded gameplay videos. Phil also constantly stops his commentary and looks at, talks, and bans people in his stream-chat all the time, especially if he get's stuck in a game. So how is any of this a complaint when Phil/YouTube does the exact same thing with less control? If Phil doesn't want to do that, then it's fine too, but don't state the people who engage in those activities are idiots and are not there for the gameplay when he employs the exact same tactics. When you are entertaining and good at streaming, you can shoutout people seamlessly while running ads modestly to not anger anyone or discourage people from watching, i've seen it done by dozens of Twitch streamers. I don't know what streamer Phil is referring to that does all this obnoxiousness but I certainly don't watch them.

This is why Phil needs to contact Rich (despite what he thinks about his latest video) or at least a more successful Youtuber to get advice and tips on how to run a successful YouTube business. Get another perspective from someone in his field instead of trying to get suggestions from us who know nothing about how to run a YouTube channel. I bet he would be a lot more aware of certain aspects and not say such ridiculous untruths about other Youtube/Twitch streamers and the people who watch them if he'd just have a discussion with someone who's more successful than him.

Edited by Imogene
Spelling errors and punctuation.
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Imogene said:

A lot of useful things. I just deleted it and typed this instead to stop the page from being too big.

I'm in full agreement. I couldn't tell if he was bragging about being a one man show or being upset by it. I think leaving Twitch was a horrible Idea, and instead should of just lowered his bit rate.

• Upvote 1

Correct. Not only have previous channels bounced BACK from situations just as bad as the copyright strikes BUT let's not forget that DSP was complaining about views BEFORE the incident even happened. Secondly, there are several streamers that I am subbed to who don't do what DSP assumes every Twitch streamer does. Lastly, the main thing that I saw in the comments of his recent video is that he is a bit hypocritical in the sense that he said that likes/dislikes don't matter to him, so then why does he ask that we like his videos? Why does he disable likes/dislikes on videos if they are irrelevant, as we saw the first few moments the video went live and NOW them being disabled? Why does he assume that the only reason he gets dislikes is because of his haters and/or bots when... the function of the like/dislike is to show if a viewer enjoyed or didn't enjoy that particular video? Asking that we LIKE his videos is just as bad as someone disliking all of his videos. Not only that, it's incredibly pathetic to ask viewers to do that JUST to counteract the massive dislike brigade.

There IS a correlation between dislikes and the content of his videos. Example? The very last part of his Persona 3 gameplay video where he ragequit. Correlation? He raged and quit a Patreon voted game so there were massive dislikes. So no, not every video of DSP is haters downvoting it for no reason. I don't know. For someone who says they've been extremely positive this year, I wonder how true that statement is when you see offenses that contradict the idea. Just because you aren't making response videos to trolls doesn't mean you aren't being negative.  

I saw the video and there's something I need to adress. Frankly after 8 years I thought you would get this by now. If people find your content boring they won't watch. Period. You say you don't want to be an entertainer. Well then why the fuck are you on YouTube to begin with? I find it ludicrous that your view on being entertaining is that is fake or that you expect people to watch if they are board because that's how you do things. People don't give a fuck about any of that. It's not because they're mindless sheep. It's common sense. You like what's fun and dislike what's dull.

You don't even have to be a shill or have a fake personality to do it. Just do more to keep viewers intrested. Maybe that means sharpening your jokes, cutting the fat, or incorporating skits. But the way you do it now isn't working. I understand why you do it that way and I have no problem with you uploading all the footage (I mean if you have it why not). But if that content is all you do with the exception of a few things on the side then you're doomed to fail. I mean you still haven't done a playthrough montage of KOGaming. If people find you boring then that's not something to write off.

And let's be honest. Some of the best things you ever did. Suicide Kings. People loved it! In what part of those videos did you show off the game or complete side content? It was simply a fun video that you wanted to make. And guess what? It was entertaining! What about Project 7? You described it as a parody playthrough. That would have been revolutionary for let's plays. In fact if you did your playthroughs in that style I'm sure you would change things around.

Sorry but it's time for a wake up call. You're refusing to do the things that can help you. Taking sponsorships, or doing fresh content. That's your own stubbornness. If you want to keep doing this then take action. Waiting for pledges and intrest to creat itself is not the answer.

• Upvote 2

^ I understand that you're criticizing Phil's ideology rather than his content (which quite frankly, is the garbage Archfiend ideology that turns youtubers into whiners that think they're being righteous by going after others looking to expand their business), but would you agree that the problem with Phil is the poor marketing rather than poor content?

14 minutes ago, onorub said:

^ I understand that you're criticizing Phil's ideology rather than his content (which quite frankly, is the garbage Archfiend ideology that turns youtubers into whiners that think they're being righteous by going after others looking to expand their business), but would you agree that the problem with Phil is the poor marketing rather than poor content?

I'm not saying the content is poor per se. Just outdated. And sometimes something fresh is the best form of marketing.

And it's actually sad to see that he is aware that is business yet he refuses to make any changes. He HAS too but he won't. He's not lazy just stubborn.

Hello again. You seemed to like the post I made about this last year (regarding the restaurant manager comparison) so hopefully this will be of some use. It's going to be a VERY long and brutally honest. However, seeing as how I spent about ~4 hours watching your video, doing research solely for your benefit, and typing this up I'd hope you give it an honest read.

1st some info about me. No I'm not doing this to self promote (if every single person who read this thread sub'd to me I'd have, what, 50 new subs? WOOOO) but I want you to understand where I'm coming from, in particular to some of our similar circumstances. A good bit of this will seem extraneous but I promise it's relevant to things I want to discuss.

I have my own YouTube gaming channel where I mostly do unedited full game playthroughs though I'm much smaller (10k subs/50k monthly views.) I do hope to one day make my channel into my full time career but for now I'm a QA Engineer during the day.  I work 40 hour weeks and try to spend at least 30-40 on my channel, more if I can. I live in a house I own (only 300+ more payments and she's all mine!) with my girlfriend. I'm 38 years old so in internet terms I'm in the "Old Geezer's Club."

So let me hit on some things you've mentioned in the recent 1 hour video regarding your finances & state of your channel:

1) 8 Year Legacy: There is only 1 person who cares about the legacy of your channel; You. Of course some fans would be disappointed if you no longer did YouTube but let's be honest; they would find new people to watch within weeks if not days. 6 months from now DSPGaming would be a distant memory.

The ugly truth that we both face is that YouTube is absolutely full to the brim of people who do unedited gameplay playthroughs with commentary and yes, many of them are not "screamers." Finding channels that show a game in it's entirety while someone makes wise cracks isn't a difficult task. Therefore you need to stop hanging your hat on the idea that fans will want to save your legacy.

2) Stop framing the YouTube gaming scene into 2 styles: the "honest" unedited side vs the screaming, over-acting types. You can make changes which will make your content appeal to more audiences without going the PDP/Markiplier route. There are successful YouTube gamers out there who do mostly un-edited playthroughs who do NOT scream, make goofy voices, etc.  Find them (I can PM some to you if you'd like) and give them a watch while asking yourself what their appeal is. No, you don't have to do a drastic change but there could be things that they do that people like that you find agreeable. 

3) Stop shitting on other YouTubers and FFS stop shitting on the general YouTube audience.  First off, you need to realize that many people who watch you probably also watch PDP, Markiplier, Angry Joe, etc. so when you take a swipe at them & their viewer base you're going to hit a few of your own viewers as well. 

Specifically your jabs at Angry Joe were uncalled for and frankly came off as catty. You tried to walk back your statements in the comments of the video but the fact is that you made statements that were shots at him:  That you'd "rather do a more well informed review," and that he gets views "Not because of the review, because it's an entertainment video that's fluff." As others already pointed out in the video, while people who watch his reviews enjoy the comedic aspects (myself included) we keep coming back because we know he does a damn good job on the review itself.  

You need to stop trying to bring others down to boost yourself. Read that sentence again. It's a bitter pill to swallow but it's something that you do a lot and makes you look bad/petty. "What I do is good/smart/mature/honest, what they do is bad/stupid/immature/dishonest!" For your own sake I'd say to first be aware that you do it and then work on fixing it (assuming you want to, of course.)

Are there tons of dumb people on YouTube? Sure there are; how else would reaction videos be so popular (oh snap).  However, repeatedly lashing out and saying things like "95% of people watching this stuff on YT are idiots" is most assuredly not helping you, especially at a time when you are very much in need of fresh eyeballs.

4) You say you don't want to be an entertainer and I find that confusing. What do you think it is that you do? If people really just wanted information on a game they'd watch uncommentated videos. If they needed help getting past a certain part of a game, they'd watch a short, to-the-point guide/how-to vid. If they want to see a high skilled playthrough they'd watch an edited run, speed run or the like by someone who's practiced the game at length.  

I'd wager that the majority of your consistent viewerbase watches you because they like your commentary, your personality, your playstyle or they just want to see a full playthrough of a game as quickly as possible.  This is something you should keep in mind so you know who your base is. 

5) Stop being a dick to people for no reason. This goes 10x for people who are actively trying to help you. In this very thread you attacked someone for posting stats, saying "Perhaps before you like to place blame as some kind of an all-knowing judge, you should actually get a clue first" and what they posted was "A bunch of unhelpful nonsense." It absolutely blows my mind that someone went out of their way to try to help you (twice!) and you repaid them by being a total asshole.  You then made a snide comment to others saying "Yeah, it'd be nice to actually see some constructive talk for a change. Because there sure hasn't been anything very useful posted up on the subject in a long while." Would you be surprised AT ALL if any of these people (or anyone reading what you said) wrote you off?

I get it; you're frustrated, you feel like everything is crumbling, everyone and everything is working against you. You absolutely cannot allow that to push you to attack others, ESPECIALLY not the ones who are trying to help.  Imagine that you were trying to save someone from a burning building and they punched you in the face because you grabbed their sore arm.  How inclined would you be to continue that rescue?

6) If you do end up having to get a job outside of DSPGaming this doesn't mean you need to quit YouTube. Obviously you'd not be able to produce as much as you do now but getting a 9-to-5 doesn't mean the opportunity to come back is gone. Many big YouTubers grew while having a "normal" job + YouTube, I'm working hard to do it now, and of course even you did it at the start. 

7) Stop comparing your situation to that of YouTubers with millions of subs, specially in the area of having a "team" of people. How many channels in the 100k-800k range that do video game content, even edited stuff, do you HONESTLY believe have a "team" of people helping them?  Most creators in that range that I'm aware of MIGHT have 1 person helping them & that is almost always a significant other; ie, non-paid.  Even Angry Joe looks to have a team of 4 (excluding himself) and I highly doubt all of them were helping him/getting paid from the start.  This relates to you complaining that you can't do some of the things other YT'rs do because you don't have a "team." So, if many of the channels who are doing similar things as you still manage to do these things, you need to HONESTLY ask yourself; what's different? What could I change? Is there some things I could do differently that still allows me to be me but do those other things?

I recently did this on my own channel. I felt like I wanted to do all this other stuff w/my channel but felt tied to constantly recording Let's Plays. I shuffled some things around w/how I do content & that created more time for me to expand the type of content I can do. I was very reluctant to make the changes I did but now I'm very very glad that I did.

8) You say you're working hard to produce the content that you do, and that's fine, but you need to evaluate if that time can't be spent more efficiently. For example, lets look at Mafia 3. The 1st video is at around 14,000 views. The 30th got 1,700. Part 60 got 1,300 with quite a few getting less than 1,000. So, was it worth it? Put another way, 1 hour spent making part 1 got you almost 10x more views than the 60th.  This is rhetorical BTW; it's for YOU to make a value judgement.  Is there a better way, such as playing the game over a longer period of time and uploading less quickly? 

To be clear, I'm not suggesting anything like doing partial LPs or the like. I'm honestly trying to frame this information in a way that will at least get you to consider how you're doing things and how they can be done to be more beneficial to you WITHOUT drastically changing how you do. 

You brought it up in the video already but I agree that you need to take a good, long look at streaming and if it's helping or hurting you. If it's hurting, you should decide if you need to cut it entirely (I don't think that's necessary,) do it a lot less, or find a way that your streams are more beneficial; ie, more ads, whatever.

You also mentioned wanting to get through games at a good pace so that you can get reviews up quickly. While you are correct that you want to get reviews out as soon as possible (strictly speaking view-wise here) you still aren't getting them out day 1 or even after the embargo drops.  How are those reviews doing?

Mafia 3 : 7,619 views

King of Fighters : 18,028

Deus Ex: 7,918

Attack on Titan: 8,097

So, do you think that's worth it? Again, this is rhetorical as only you can answer it.  The point that I'm trying to make is that you should re-evaluate to see if what you're doing is actually worth the time/money investment or are you just doing it this way because that's how you've always done it? See also, my personal example above.

9) You've stated many times that your videos are no longer showing up in searches or are buried deep mostly due to things that happened previously (it doesn't matter what or why; the ONLY thing that matters is fixing it.) I did some testing from an Incognito browser (not logged in, search results will not be geared toward me in any way) and I thought I'd share the results:

Search Terms || Results

dragon ball xenoverse 2 playthrough || 3 DSPGaming videos on 1st page

xenoverse 2 playthrough || 5-8 videos on 1st page

xenoverse 2 gameplay || 0 videos on 1st page

Mafia III  playthrough || 1 video on 1st page (2nd result)

So, your stuff IS showing up on the 1st page. It's actually rather impressive in some cases considering the description/tags on those videos.  I even provided a screenshot of one of the searches in case. Note that the screenshot says that those terms I used were bad due to high competition. So, in other words, despite very high competition (ie, lots of videos fighting over that combo of words) you're video is on the 1st page. That's a very good thing

Speaking of SEO, I'd suggest doing some testing with yours. There could stand to be some optimization there. I'd highly recommend getting a tool like Tube Buddy. It has multiple pay tiers but even the free version is very useful.  Make sure you use newer vids (1-2 days) as in my experience once they get older changing title/description/tags doesn't help much.

10) Stop dismissing data just because you dislike it. In particular, you've waved away the Social Blade data (and even attacked someone in this thread for posting it) saying that it's wrong. You need to give some evidence as to WHY you think it's wrong, like you did when addressing the discrepancies with the Patreon pledge data.  I've never heard that Social Blade is unreliable when it comes to views (but NOT earnings; those are usually grossly inaccurate.) I even double checked their data compared to what's in my analytics on my views going back to 2012 and they were pretty damn close, off by maybe 3-4%. 

11) Yeah, still going, I know, I know.

Anyway, on the Twitch thing, again, you make the assumption that being successful on Twitch = constantly asking for money/subs, interrupting the game over and over for shout outs, etc. This does not have to be the case. I hate this behavior just as much as you; there are people that I was a long time fan of that I stopped watching due to the constant "OH HEY THANKS FOR THE FOLLOW XxXSniper420XxX!!!" Instead of waving stuff away like this with no consideration, again, think of how you can make it work for you. For example, you could wait until a break and then thank the donors/subs, etc. I've seen it done before and it worked well.

That said I mostly agree w/your stance on streaming on Twitch vs YouTube.  Due to not allowing you to stream on both Twitch and YouTube as a partner & the low bitrate being poor even for 720p/60 FPS I'm with you that that is too much of a quality hit if most of those videos are going on YouTube.  720p is fine (most people couldn't tell you if they were watching 720 or 1080) but 30 vs 60 is a no-go IMO. 

12) This is just something that gets under my skin, but don't confuse views with viewers. You stated that you had 2 million views so if even 10% of those people gave you 1$ you'd be fine. What you should be looking at is your average video view, NOT overall views.  There probably isn't a YouTube/Streamer out there who gets 10% of their monthly views as Patrons.

13) You dismiss the idea of a perk level which gives people access to video(s) early because some trolls will pay the money and share the link. My response to that is: so what? Let's really look at this situation.

1st off, if they did do this (and I think it's safe to say at least 1 person will unless the barrier to entry is high) then you get the money anyway. It's not much but hey, money is money. 

2nd, you can make this a more expensive proposition by raising the cost for this perk. However, I honestly wouldn't do it very high. IMO $10 would be the absolute max for it.

3rd, if they share it, who is going to see it that matters? Where are these potential Patrons going to see it? How many people who would be willing to pay money to get early access to some of your videos would also follow the type of people who would post the link? Do you think the people who give you money because they enjoy your content would also want to follow all the people who shit talk you all day? 

Let's play with numbers. Let's say you make early access a $5 perk. Let's say 10 people who were not Patrons before now are interested due to early access. So 1st month, you get 11 people at that level (don't forget that sweet troll money). Before next month rolls around let's be INCREDIBLY generous and say that 50% of the people who went in ONLY for this perk find out about the people posting the link. These people also don't care about you personally and are morally OK w/using the link so cancel their pledges. You're still getting $5x6 = $30(again, don't forget the troll!) that you were not getting before. 

14) You said something about forum access and how you have to email each individual person, etc. You may have missed it but Patreon has a feature where you can send a message to multiple Patrons at once based on pledge tier. This way, you could send them all a private message all at once asking for their login info. Initially you're probably going to get flooded with replies but as the months roll on and most of your Patrons have already got their account done you'll only get a few that you need to forward to the web master.

To get to this, click your account icon at the top right -> Patron Manager. Then click the check box(s) next to the tiers that offer this reward, choose "All Processed Patrons" and click the "Send Message" button at the top. Now you can type out 1 message that will go to everyone you checked and they can reply without seeing each other's information.

WE MADE IT! Hopefully at least some of this you'll find useful. If I could pick one message for you (and everyone I guess) to get out of this is to be open to change. This doesn't mean just listening to feedback & making an off-the-cuff decision. It often requires us to question our pre-conceived notions, re-evaluate what we think we know about a given situation, ask ourselves how we can approach a problem a different way and to do a lot of research.

Good luck with your channel.

DSP_SearchResults.PNG

• Upvote 3

That one guy that says that Jesse Cox is a one man show is soooo wrong. He appears on a very popular podcast on youtube and Twitch every week promoting his content and he gets paid for that podcast. I guarantee those other people that upload unedited gameplay videos don't have detractor's videos show up on the first page when someone searches for their channel.

3 hours ago, Tahdel said:

That one guy that says that Jesse Cox is a one man show is soooo wrong. He appears on a very popular podcast on youtube and Twitch every week promoting his content and he gets paid for that podcast. I guarantee those other people that upload unedited gameplay videos don't have detractor's videos show up on the first page when someone searches for their channel.

I also guarantee most of those other people haven't done enough negative stuff to create detractor videos in the first place.
No smoke without fire as they say.

Like i'm not saying Phil deserves all of it but if someone can make like a 3 hour compilation of all the different times Phil has insulted people (especially his past with Kojima) and/or telling people they never should allow people from their country to make games (CD Projekt - Witcher 2 playthrough), then maybe, just maybe you need to not do stuff that can and will be used against you in such an abundance. 

Again, linking it back to your "I guarantee those other people that upload unedited gameplay videos don't have detractor's videos show up on the first page when someone searches for their channel", i'm certain no other let's player has put out as much ammo to have used against themselves as Phil has.

Edited by Nation

As i understand most of the older youtubers all started as one man. But then they either expand, co-op, or make friends with other youtubers. They can help each other out by doing that. Dunno how jesse cox works, dont think he draw his own art but probably fans or he hired somebody to do it. Then theres his outtro songs. Thats a good way to use money to improve his content and he can afford it.

Great post btw from vertigo even tho its a wall of text. Inb4 it get ignored.

A lil Off topic but for anyone who knew Epicnamebro (dark souls youtuber) he just recently talked about some of the same stuffs as phils. Just thought it was interesting to see some of his decisions/opinions are similar and some are different. No link cos off topic, search his channel should do. Basicly the stuff is 

-switch

-early game review copy (bethesda)

-youtube vs twitch, which also relate to trolls

-content creating and free time (for daughter and family)

just see it as case study for those who r interested.

• Upvote 1

How many more shot down suggestions is it going to take for fans to realize your information is falling on deaf ears. The only thing Phil can do to get accurate, constructive information to help his business and help him grow is by contacting a more successful Youtuber. Until then, 99.95% of these suggestions (which I think are great btw) are going to be shot down cause Phil has no idea how to implement them while managing his time efficiently, and the only person who can teach him how to be more efficient in his craft would be someone above his level in his field of business. He needs to reach out to someone that's knowledgeable of his situation, until then, this is all a waste of time until Phil steps out of his bubble and gets some help.

I know he prides him self on being a "one man show" but there is absolutely no pride in groveling, begging, and panhandling his fans for money just to keep his EIGHT YEAR business going. 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year its understandable in the world of business, but in the EIGHTH YEAR you are totally dependent on the kindness of others to stay alive in the field? That's a problem. That fact cant be stressed enough.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Imogene said:

How many more shot down suggestions is it going to take for fans to realize your information is falling on deaf ears. The only thing Phil can do to get accurate, constructive information to help his business and help him grow is by contacting a more successful Youtuber. Until then, 99.95% of these suggestions (which I think are great btw) are going to be shot down cause Phil has no idea how to implement them while managing his time efficiently, and the only person who can teach him how to be more efficient in his craft would be someone above his level in his field of business. He needs to reach out to someone that's knowledgeable of his situation, until then, this is all a waste of time until Phil steps out of his bubble and gets some help.

I know he prides him self on being a "one man show" but there is absolutely no pride in groveling, begging, 

Sorry, when is he begging? Patreon is begging now? 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Bailey_Dakota said:

Is that all you got out of that post? You should re-read it and discover the more important point's in it, but to answer your question, Yes. When you talk about how views are declining and Patreon is the life-line for DSPGaming's survival on YouTube, it's begging at this point. No-one else on Patreon is pleading to the extent of what Phil is doing on Patreon. What Phil actually needs is a GoFundMe account. Patreon is more of a place to fund extracurricular projects with established audiences, Phil is using it as a GoFundMe account cause without this money he cant pay his bills. That's what GoFundMe is for, not Patreon. So again, yes. Phil is begging. He's just on the wrong site.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bailey_Dakota said:

Ignore the trolls mate.. that is really quite insulting to Phil to be called begging. begging is what homeless people do and comparing this to Phil is REALLY LOW.

Edited by Dubleg

9 minutes ago, Dubleg said:

Ignore the trolls mate.. that is really quite insulting to Phil to be called begging. begging is what homeless people do and comparing this to Phil is REALLY LOW.

Well, he does constantly tell his viewers that' a dollar a day helps' and that he is constantly in financial trouble. So yes, he is theoretically begging. Yet the only difference is that he lives in a well-off gated community and instagrams himself eating some meals that don't seem cheap

Let me please give some advice. When you are in need of new viewers, don't turn them away because you don't like something personally. You literally called almost all of the viewers on youtube, and your own viewers because they might watch other content, as brainless idiots and simpletons. Imagine what kind of image you're sending them. Please don't tell us that you' don't want to act as clown' considering your past videos (specifically the sonic '06 recent playthrough) quickly say otherwise. You ranted about youtubers who may get games for free. YET YOU'RE GETTING DONATIONS(AKA, FREE GAMES)!Phil, I will put simply , your a simply jealous. Jealous that other youtubers succeed where you can't.Unless you 1) put your jealousy aside, 2)don't insult your own viewers and potential viewers, and 3) begin to accept change. Your General Electric comparison shows that unwillingness. Let me provide my own comparison in the name of 2 COMPANIES! Circuit City and Blockbuster. Two companies which failed to change, and when they attempted to change, it was little too late.