DSP Gaming

A question about KOCC submissions

CrashBash

So, about the KOCC submissions. Phil says he has several of them, but he can't upload them because he doesn't have time to work on them. Um, why do you need to work on them @Phil? Do they absolutely NEED to have an intro from you on them? I just don't understand why you can't upload them as is since they're essentially already completed edited videos for KOGaming.

22 hours ago, CrashBash said:

So, about the KOCC submissions. Phil says he has several of them, but he can't upload them because he doesn't have time to work on them. Um, why do you need to work on them @Phil? Do they absolutely NEED to have an intro from you on them? I just don't understand why you can't upload them as is since they're essentially already completed edited videos for KOGaming.

There's several things that have to be done before the videos can "just be uploaded:"

1. I have to briefly scan through and make sure the raw file is fine. I already had an issue with one file being corrupted halfway through and had to get another copy.

2. The intros to the videos set them up and brand them for KOGaming. Without the intro, a newcomer (Which many of the people who view KOGaming are) wouldn't know WTF they're even watching. Why is the video so fuzzy? Who is DarksydePhil? All of this needs to be glossed over before the video begins, despite the fact that longtime viewers think it's unnecessary.

3. The person who submitted the montage needs to get credit at the end of the video (that's the entire purpose of the program: getting some promotion out of it). So the video needs to be edited to add in their plug etc.

4. Right now I've got 3-4 more "ABRIDGED!" videos ready to go, but that's it. Since the whole partnership thing happened early this month, I haven't really focused on KOGaming at all, nor have I been asking for new montages until the whole transition gets finished. Yes, I could put up 3-4 more of the EXACT same style of video right now, but that would make them get stale quickly. It'll be far better when I get more (I have 2 being worked on right now) and I can alternate for variety's sake. In addition, KOGaming is dead right now, but SOON will be full of reviews (Zelda, ME Andromeda, may do a video on Danganronpa and the DS3 DLC etc.) so that'll be the perfect time to start throwing in new montages too.

In short: I know what I'm doing, and you don't need to second guess me at every turn. Thanks!

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Phil said:

The original post was also rather rude, alluding to the fact that I can just mass release these videos and am holding them back for no reason. You get what you give.

All I gave was genuine confusion, Phil. Any allusions you saw were something you read into it that wasn't there. Not everything is a personal attack against you.

That being said, I still have some questions/comments about this whole thing. I understand watching the file before uploading to make sure it's not corrupted, that's fine. I just don't see an intro segment as necessary for every single video. If you're really concerned about newcomers being confused you could do something you never did. Make an announcement/explanation video for the KO Community Content program and upload it to KOGaming. After that just link back to it with a card saying "Confused? Click here!" or something like that at the beginning of each video.

Giving credit is also fairly easy. The simplest way would be twofold, and I'll be using the Battlefield Bad Company 2 Abridged video as an example, use the same titling format for every video "KOCC: DSP Plays Battlefield Bad Company 2 ABRIDGED! - by Burn" and utilize the cards/youtube end screen tools to link back to YouTube channels and whatever else you need to. Doesn't take a ton of time.

Just a few thoughts.

Edited by CrashBash

21 minutes ago, CrashBash said:

All I gave was genuine confusion, Phil. Any allusions you saw were something you read into it that wasn't there. Not everything is a personal attack against you.

That being said, I still have some questions/comments about this whole thing. I understand watching the file before uploading to make sure it's not corrupted, that's fine. I just don't see an intro segment as necessary for every single video. If you're really concerned about newcomers being confused you could do something you never did. Make an announcement/explanation video for the KO Community Content program and upload it to KOGaming. After that just link back to it with a card saying "Confused? Click here!" or something like that at the beginning of each video.

Giving credit is also fairly easy. The simplest way would be twofold, and I'll be using the Battlefield Bad Company 2 Abridged video as an example, use the same titling format for every video "KOCC: DSP Plays Battlefield Bad Company 2 ABRIDGED! - by Burn" and utilize the cards/youtube end screen tools to link back to YouTube channels and whatever else you need to. Doesn't take a ton of time.

Just a few thoughts.

Titling suggestions are appreciated. However, endcards...

Have you actually used them? They are absolutely awful. You can only have 3 things (yep, ONLY three) on the screen. And mostly it's to link to videos. You can only link to one YouTube channel, only have one callout to subscribe...it's pathetic. It's the reason why most YouTubers are upset that Annotations are GONE soon; their own custom-made endcards were far more useful and effective, but without annotations, they'll become functionally useless.

To try and plug someone who made a KOCC in the endcard would effectively mean I wouldn't be able to put any advertisement of my own on the video. Pretty lame.

13 minutes ago, Phil said:

Titling suggestions are appreciated. However, endcards...

Have you actually used them? They are absolutely awful. You can only have 3 things (yep, ONLY three) on the screen. And mostly it's to link to videos. You can only link to one YouTube channel, only have one callout to subscribe...it's pathetic. It's the reason why most YouTubers are upset that Annotations are GONE soon; their own custom-made endcards were far more useful and effective, but without annotations, they'll become functionally useless.

To try and plug someone who made a KOCC in the endcard would effectively mean I wouldn't be able to put any advertisement of my own on the video. Pretty lame.

But isn't the point of the KOCC program to plug someone else's stuff? Also, you could just plug your stuff in regular cards rather than the through end screen tool. Like I said right at the beginning of each KOCC video you could have a card pop down linking back to a video explaining the KOCC program then a couple minutes in have one linking to your patreon or twitter and so on. You can have up to 5 cards on any given video in addition to the end screen. You're also wrong about it being 3 things on the end screen, you can have 4. So you can effectively link to 9 things in every video.

Edited by CrashBash
  • Upvote 1

On 3/29/2017 at 9:39 PM, Phil said:

The original post was also rather rude, alluding to the fact that I can just mass release these videos and am holding them back for no reason. You get what you give.

How was it rude? He just asked you a question. All you had to do was answer (Which you did so I don't know why the last comment was needed). If you took the question as he was saying you're doing it wrong then that seems like your own personal misconception.

• 4 years later...