Games with Terrible Control Layouts

url8

What games (mainly on PC) do you find have a terrible control layout? We are mainly looking at games that won't let you change the control layout. I am also cool looking at games that may have a terrible control layout on keyboard but fine with controller and vice-versa. Of course if a game were played with the mouse mainly, it probably won't matter.

I am also looking for ways to fix terrible control layouts if a games suffers from it.

So far I found the Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection has terrible a keyboard layout with no way to change it! Considering that Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1+2 has a fine keyboard layout, I don't know how or why they screwed it up here! I also found Clarence's Big Chance, a flash game, a 2D platformer that thinks it is a great idea to map jump to space (not a good idea for 2D or even 3D platformers). Of course, there is no way to change the jump button, so I need AntiMicro to play it. Any other games that control badly just because of the layout?

On 7/1/2021 at 9:10 PM, musicboy said:

Oh no, this topic is for PC games only? My bad.

No, not neccesarily. While most games tend to have terrible control layouts on PC, I am really looking for games with terrible control layouts in general. It just so happens that most terrible control layouts happen to be on PC. If you find a console game with a terrible control layout, feel free to tell people about it here!

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 1:01 PM, url8 said:

No, not neccesarily. While most games tend to have terrible control layouts on PC, I am really looking for games with terrible control layouts in general. It just so happens that most terrible control layouts happen to be on PC. If you find a console game with a terrible control layout, feel free to tell people about it here!

Okay. Thanks for telling me that. I definitely will. Cool.

Edited by musicboy

Fighting Force 2.

I know that historically, alot of Fighting Force 1  fans hate this game, but love the original which was a multiplayer beat em up, like Final Fight and Streets of Rage. But this sequel is a run and gun shooter action game, and while the game is not so bad, the controls are kinda clunky and a bit awful, and sometimes ruins the game experience. Like for example, enemies are behind you, you try to turn around to attack them or run away, and the game takes forever to do so, and you get shot in the back or get attacked repeatedly. Lol.

Luckily, despite the bad controls, I am on stage two now. I hope to beat this stage soon, despite the annoying controls. Lol!

Edited by musicboy

• 4 weeks later...

Persona 4 Golden's PC port is very restrictive when it comes to which keyboard keys you are allowed to map. I was not able to adapt the control scheme I used for emulating Persona 3 FES with a keyboard, so I had to use my Xbox One controller to play Persona 4. Not exactly the best thing to do for a PC port.

Here is the keyboard keys I use for Persona 3 FES:

D-pad up = Up arrow key, D-pad left = Left arrow key, D-pad right = Right arrow key, D-pad down = Down arrow key

Triangle = S key, Square = A key, Cross = Z key, Circle = X key

L1 = D key, R1 = C key, L2 = Q key, R2 = W key

I don't map the analog sticks as Persona 3 made pretty poor use of analog control. This is actually a very comfortable control scheme for Persona 3 FES, however, Persona 4 Golden will not let me map the arrow keys at all for some reason.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Capcom vs. Snk 2 on the nintendo gamecube.

I mean how the heck are you supposed to play a street fighter game, with six buttons on a control pad like the gamecubes? Lol! I will admit, it took a while to get used to. Bloody Roar Primal Fury and Smash Bros. Melee, definitely fit that controller really well, but CvS2 not so much. I think if all six buttons, were on the face of the gamecube controller, it would be easier to play CvS2.

Edited by musicboy