Tips & Help Thread: Minecraft

God_Revan

On 2/20/2020 at 7:02 PM, babymngaming456 said:

People keep asking to fight the Ender Dragon. You can respawn the dragon as many times you want and it isn't so difficult to kill.

I watched a video of it right now, you just spam arrows at it, and the dodging is very easy. It's no Dark Souls boss, but might be fun if he does for the first time?.

I'd rather have him focus on building, though, and avoid aimless searching.

@MrPapaveraceae  big ups thanks for all the Minecraft knowledge you’ve contributed to this thread and it’s corresponding streams.  I’m the same age as Phil and never bothered to play Minecraft for all the reasons Phil did back in the day. It took a long time but Phil’s Minecraft streams wore me down and I finally caved in trying Minecraft for the first time ever last month. I absolutely love Minecraft and find myself constantly checking this thread and watching Phil’s old Minecraft streams frequently  trying to learn the ins and outs of this game!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, babymngaming456 said:

Won't it stop when it hits something? And is it faster than running?

It's still cool, and if knew more about Minecraft bocks, I might be able to put a couple of ideas to practice.

Just now, babymngaming456 said:

You can find a tutorial for anything. Go into creative mode and fuck around. Btw you can get Minecraft for free on PC.

I can't put the time into a game like Minecraft or similar, (presonal things), that's why I really haven't bothered with it.

I just want Phil to do & build cool things, but I was disappointed when he said he didn't want to do big/elaborate projects.

3 hours ago, babymngaming456 said:

Not going to happen. Unless Papavera tells him to build something cool, so never. A mob grinder should have been completed in one stream. 3 streams later and we have 2 pillars and one of them is pointless.

To do a good Minecraft stream you have to roleplay like PDP did or build interesting things. Not going to happen. It's just an "interactive" stream, nothing more.

The sad thing is that he totally could build cool stuff, he just doesn't want to do big projects because it stagnates the top-tipper's requests. But good creations usually require to be big, or time consuming.

There are so many fantasy/real life places he could do, and he wouldn't even need a guide for it, just messing around and even improvising or building upon errors made. Starting with something as a base, and ending up with an even better design after experimenting.

Not happening, but just please, make this man to not bother with fishing or searching turtles/other.

17 minutes ago, babymngaming456 said:

Or you can make a big project that consist of smaller parts that can be continuously added on, like a castle or city.

That would be a great idea, and I had one in particular, but this would slow down his projects as the top-tipper is the one who decides, and is not the same person every time.

17 minutes ago, babymngaming456 said:

Like the bird big builds would be extremely stale and boring.

I'd rather have him build a single great thing, than a bunch of small constructions destined to be forgotten.

Edited by MoraMoria

Just now, babymngaming456 said:

You don't pick up Minecraft because you want to play one of the shittiest survival games but because you want to play a Lego simulator and have things you want to build. But if you have no vision or desire to build things then the top contributors decide what dumb thing to build.

Yeah, if it was for me he'd do the entire city & castle in the Spirited Away movie.

3 hours ago, babymngaming456 said:

Someone recreated Phil's Minecraft world with all the things he built.

Who really wants that? I'm guessing someone does, but the majority just would want to do multiplayer with him, not have a replica of his world.

If it's a cool world, I'll build it myself or download a more elaborate one.

15 minutes ago, babymngaming456 said:

Or you could see what can be done in the game when it's not run by Papavera. Or try to find something interesting and tell Phil the coordinates. You could build something interesting, show it to Phil what can be done in his world and inspire him to do the same. Like a Nether highway PDP did.

But you don't need a replica to see what can be done in the game without Papavera, or in order to send him a guide to build something cool, and since he doesn't want big-projects, obtaining a specific "seed" is unnecessary. Is this correct?

The only real purpose, like you've said, would be to search for something valuable/interesting, and send him the coordinates, everything else doesn't require his world.

5 hours ago, babymngaming456 said:

Why not? Papavera is now running the streams, he treats it as his personal stream, he's the reason the quality went so down.

You cannot blame Mr.Papavera for that. He's a viewer and a contributor, it's natural that he would have interest in doing things his way, and he has the right to encourage Phil to make those buildings. Other thing is if he actually tried to prevent others from having their projects taken into consideration, with malice, which I don't think Mr.Papavera is doing.

It's in the hands of the streamer to pay attention to others as well, a viewer cannot be blamed for Phil's decisions, in this case.

6 hours ago, babymngaming456 said:

At this point it's so bad that I can blame him. But it's pointless to discuss since no one cares about the gameplay.

I care about the gameplay, sometimes I watch some Minecraft-episodes on Youtube, (scarcely, but I'd watch it more if he was planning an interesting-project). I don't want to watch him fishing, so I skip those parts, and despite the fact that I want him to build cool things, I think no viewer has any fault, unless they're extremely unfair, or act with ill-intent.

Besides Rumpel who's MIA. He tried to warn us and we didn't listen.

He said that Phil ignores other suggestions.

If I was the one that was either tipping or cheering, I'd pressure Phil a bit more, harshly let's say, and make sure that he has no excuse to not change the course of the stream, unless he flat out admits that he's not taking other suggestions. If what you both are saying is true, then I'd say the people contributing that are not Papavera, are being a bit soft with Phil, or not presenting a convincing enough case for him to actually do something different.

That gives me an idea for a Minecraft build. A monument for all the good people we lost to the ban hammer.

That could be interesting, a monument with sections dedicated for each sentence:

We'd have the Wing's memes cell/section, the copypasta section, slur, detractor-memes, etc sections... It'll be underground, destined to be ignored & forgotten.

16 hours ago, babymngaming456 said:

Looks like it prevents from more pillager's spawning in the village. He should build him a tiny house or prison.

I only searched briefly, but I haven't seen any evidence of this, however if that were the case, it would be as simple as doing a deep hole/excavation, drop them, get out, and layer it with a ceiling. Then repeat the process for the next wave, until possibly stopping any more from spawning, (if it actually works).

Y'know... like an anthill without escape, for burying creatures alive. Such is the world of Minecraft...

XS.jpg.01ad0389933084ab87a832c6aaa70810.jpg

On 2/22/2020 at 8:22 AM, Snoutfoot said:

@MrPapaveraceae  big ups thanks for all the Minecraft knowledge you’ve contributed to this thread and it’s corresponding streams.  I’m the same age as Phil and never bothered to play Minecraft for all the reasons Phil did back in the day. It took a long time but Phil’s Minecraft streams wore me down and I finally caved in trying Minecraft for the first time ever last month. I absolutely love Minecraft and find myself constantly checking this thread and watching Phil’s old Minecraft streams frequently  trying to learn the ins and outs of this game!

That's awesome. Thank you. I definitely want to encourage others. I will try to keep showing new things.

On 3/10/2020 at 7:45 PM, babymngaming456 said:

Looks like it prevents from more pillager's spawning in the village. He should build him a tiny house or prison.

Yup. Exactly what I was thinking. That would be funny. Cobblestone with some Iron Bars. I think maybe I'll post something for Phil.

19 hours ago, MrPapaveraceae said:

Yup. Exactly what I was thinking. That would be funny. Cobblestone with some Iron Bars. I think maybe I'll post something for Phil.

• Why does Phil need a tamed cat?
  • Why does Phil need a turtle/turtle's egg?

A detailed response for both questions will be read & appreciated.

From what I've read, looks like leveling-up in Minecraft isn't even that necessary, (I don't know for which version, though).

The important part of Phil's playthrough is interaction & building, (and finish the Tips-Goal requests), so maybe all the time & effort he dedicated to this mob-grinder, should've been used for the requests, while working on the mob-grinder on the side.

Alright, I've seen a video of how to make one in some version, and you do it for levels & drops. It's not that difficult or time consuming, you just need to read one time & understand the instructions, then it should be done in 1 stream, I'd think.

46 minutes ago, babymngaming456 said:

I wish he would look up interesting tutorials and build those things. Then just make the top contributor name it. When you look at their dumb build requests, you can tell they don't really care.

Yeah, they have the right to request whatever they want Phil to build, but I believe the last one was just Phil's torso with the vest? If his face is also included it could be interesting, if it's actually big in order to do details, and because it may look cool from the distance, but if it's too small, then... (sigh)...

Sigh.thumb.jpg.eb8e6425cdf01e9ccb74c092aff3072c.jpg

Also, I really don't care much about the vest, but maybe I'm being selfish... If that's what they want... Just my opinion.

12 hours ago, MoraMoria said:
  • Why does Phil need a tamed cat?
  • Why does Phil need a turtle/turtle's egg?

A detailed response for both questions will be read & appreciated.

Okay, so the dark room mob grinder = unlimited XP and mob drops from Zombies, Creepers, Spiders, Skeletons and Witches. No Enderman. I have plans for an Enderman Farm in the Nether for the XP and drops.

How the grinder works mobs will drop from a dark room to the killing platform 24 blocks below. The Wolf, Cat and Villager are in specific locations on the killing platform. A Turtle Egg will no longer be used and Villager will take it's place.
Skeletons are scared of wolves, Creepers are scared of cats and Zombies are drawn to Villagers. They will all be forced to converge to one side of the platform, to a window where it would be easy to kill.
They have low enough health from the fall damage to be killed with no weapon, but works better with a weapon, especially with enchants like Looting, Sweeping Edge and Sharpness. Those enchants will give you more drops and kill more mobs in a wide radius.
Spiders will be killed instantly from fall damage, which is good, cause Spiders are difficult to handle for this type of grinder.

I will add too - to explain effectiveness the animals and the egg/villager. The window the player stands at is made to be too narrow for the mobs to see the play and will no go agro on the player. The passive mobs/animals force the hostile mobs to move exactly where they need to be. If the passive mobs/animals were not there the hostile mobs would mostly just stand idle and will have to wait for them to walk down to the window randomly.

Also, it's better to not have the mobs go agro, like if you didn't want a skeleton to shoot at you, or a creeper to blow up. The water will stop the creeper explosion from destroying blocks, but the xp will be lost. 

Wolves can be used to attack the skeleton, but the grinder for XP, but the grinder is not set up that way and would only work for skeletons. For simplicity, I'm just using them to direct hostile mobs.

It's not made to generate XP automatically, it made so a player can idle at the killing spot for minutes at a time to allow the mobs to accumulate without having to worry about being attacked then hit and kill multiple at once.

This grinder is not as efficient as it could be, efficiency was sacrificed for simplicity, some optimization could be done to get XP faster using some redstone, but as it is already planned, this grinder will get you from level 0 to 30 levels, or 1,500 XP in about 17 minutes.

There are more modifications to add later, after the grinder is complete to get rare items and automatically collect items so it doesn't go in your inventory.

There is also plans later, at the top of the water elevator platform, to bridge 128 blocks away to an iron farm.
The iron farm will get about a stack of iron in 10 minutes.

The Librarian farm which is still on a back log to be finished and probably be next, will have a villager breeding farm and a leather farm, which will give him unlimited leather for books and will fit other farm animals for materials.
The librarian farm will start with 10 librarian for the most essential and most needed enchants at max enchant levels. Like Prot IV, or Sharpness V.
The librarian farm, which I haven't gone over with Phil yet, can be easily modular, or the same design stacked on top to make multiple floors. With 3 floors, Phil can have almost every enchanted book as of release 1.15 and max enchant levels to make god armor and gear. Plus a few extra villagers to trade for emeralds.

These farms are being made now and will come in to use later and can also be used as soon as they are made for more immediate uses when XP, or materials are needed for a smaller project.

I even have a cobblestone generator planned for him to make that should get him stacks of cobblestone in no time that he uses so much of. 

7 hours ago, MoraMoria said:

Yeah, they have the right to request whatever they want Phil to build, but I believe the last one was just Phil's torso with the vest? If his face is also included it could be interesting, if it's actually big in order to do details, and because it may look cool from the distance, but if it's too small, then... (sigh)...

Sigh.thumb.jpg.eb8e6425cdf01e9ccb74c092aff3072c.jpg

Also, I really don't care much about the vest, but maybe I'm being selfish... If that's what they want... Just my opinion.

The statue is something that I haven't even really made plans on, but will be massive. I'll test some designs out and see what Phil is capable of doing.

The build will take a considerable amount to time to get resources for. I would give Phil a general size and dimension and he can pick a place. I would recommend to him to place a lot of double chests there, at the center of the site to hold all the material.

I would try to reduce the amount of blocks used as much as I can, but what I have in mind would take hundreds of thousands of blocks. It can possibly be close to a million blocks. It would include his face and arms. I might do half of the arms that would cut off at the upper arm, or past the elbow. Doing the complete arms and hands would make the build a lot more complicated.

Edited by MrPapaveraceae

1 hour ago, MrPapaveraceae said:

The statue is something that I haven't even really made plans on, but will be massive. I'll test some designs out and see what Phil is capable of doing.

The build will take a considerable amount to time to get resources for. I would give Phil a general size and dimension and he can pick a place. I would recommend to him to place a lot of double chests there, at the center of the site to hold all the material.

I would try to reduce the amount of blocks used as much as I can, but what I have in mind would take hundreds of thousands of blocks. It can possibly be close to a million blocks. It would include his face and arms. I might do half of the arms that would cut off at the upper arm, or past the elbow. Doing the complete arms and hands would make the build a lot more complicated.

Thank you for your response!

As for the torso-statue, I'm eager to see how the result will look, specially for the design you'll choose for the face. I also wonder if you'll take into consideration the orientation of the statue, so that Phil sees better one side, (the one with his face), more often, through the distance. So if you'll factor in Phil's tendency to go in one direction, if he has, I haven't checked.

Would be a shame if the majority of the time we get to see its back.

23 minutes ago, babymngaming456 said:

So they are kinda pointless. Not like anyone cares. You could request completely random things and no questions would be asked.

Slabs exist.

It's going to be another extremely boring build like the bird. Request some random rare materials for it. Preferably from the Nether.

At least that's something. Just go full on trolling and request something funny. Like that you need to catch a squid. Or make the build overly overcomplicated. Add some redstone and pistons for no reason.

The pets and villager are to draw the mobs to specific spot at the platform as soon as they land, also since the mobs will not agro on the player, cause the window blocks direct line of sight.

Slabs will contain the spiders, but even if they are agro on the player, they will remain in a corner, climbing the walls. Unless the player hits the spider, like with an arrow, but the window to hit the mobs will not let you see where they are from that spot.

The materials for the statue will me materials form the overworld. Materials from the Nether are not considered for builds, because he does not want to go in the Nether at least for a little while. Blocks from the Nether are new needed unless it's really needed.

The iron farm does not need a squid, or redstone, or pistons.

The farms I made guides on for Phil are as simple as I could make them. They are not the most efficient, but bare bones and try to reduce the number of blocks needed and made with easily obtainable blocks from the overworld, if possible.

I never claimed to be very knowledgeable in Minecraft. I know almost nothing about Bedrock, since I don't play on Bedrock and I am learning things about Minecraft as I'm showing Phil these farms. I try to not make mistakes, or guide Phil wrong, but I do make make mistakes and misjudgments.

If Phil reacts, or does something I did not expect while following steps, it was probably an over site on my part, or over explaining something that causes a little confusion. I can't expect Phil to remember every tiny mechanic of the game, but there is a lot he is understanding how to do on his own.

I would like to show Phil new things as he makes farms. I would also make them as simple as I can so he can get a general idea how the mechanics work. I also try to avoid superfluous artifacts in a build, like a farm. If anything, it's to introduce something new, like with the water elevators. The one that goes down could be unnecessary, but I could not expect him to build something over water and it was already part of the guide. Still he hasn't made one since then and next time he might not remember how to make it, but knows it's something that exists if he wants.

Some things that seem unnecessary are also there for convenience. An example is the librarian farm, having a dispenser and lava bucket above each cell that will hold a villager. He might not ever need to use them, but it's there if it's needed to easily make room for a new villager and trade.

Some of these farm are borrowed design, but I give credit and they are altered slightly, usually to make them more simple. They might not be as efficient as the original design, but still performs.

Another example is making the concrete. Getting to know how simple Phil likes to have things done, stacking them up like I showed doesn't take any materials except the powder itself, a few torches, a water bucket and pick. It can be done anywhere and doesn't need special items crafted. I might look in to other ways if he makes a large volume of concrete and it would save time, which might happen later.