DSP Gaming

Silent Hill 4 Playthrough discussion

horrorpunx610

Didn't see this thread so thought I'd make the initiative. Purpose is self-explanatory.

Anyway, it looks I'm going to be watching Phil live for the first time in a while. Don't really know why, but I'm excited to see how this turns out. My only worry is that this is probably the most frustrating of the early SH series. The story can also be a but difficult to decipher if you're not paying absolute close attention to minor details.

As someone who's played SH4 a few times, I'll give you a few helpful pointers:

- I noticed how he didn't really kill any of the sniffer dogs, resulting in about 6 of 7 of them surrounding him all at once. It's no good trying to outrun them as they always manage to catch up. A few whacks with the steel pipe will down them, followed by a stomp. Phil will save ammo this way too.

- From personal experience, the combat system is indeed a little clunky, but as you progress the enemies become more powerful/annoying and there'll be more of them so it's better to learn early. It'll make exploring much less tedious.

- When you're progressing through each world, I'd recommend stopping off at every hole you see because you can only hold 10 items/weapons at a time and the game has items stockpiled everywhere so you'll need to manage your items on a regular basis. You can't discard the things you pick up so you'll have to return to the apartment every time you want to dump something.

- Melee weapons like the golf clubs break after a while. Dump them into the item box because they'll become useless.

- If you find a item called Holy Candle, be sure to save them. You'll need them for your apartment (you'll see why the more you progress through the game). They influence the ending you get.

Apart from that, Phil is progressing nicely. Can't wait for more gameplay tonight!

• Upvote 2

- I noticed how he didn't really kill any of the sniffer dogs, resulting in about 6 of 7 of them surrounding him all at once. It's no good trying to outrun them as they always manage to catch up. A few whacks with the steel pipe will down them, followed by a stomp. Phil will save ammo this way too.

- From personal experience, the combat system is indeed a little clunky, but as you progress the enemies become more powerful/annoying and there'll be more of them so it's better to learn early. It'll make exploring much less tedious.

​I second this. Combat in this game is one of the major differences from the first 3, so Phil's going to have to adjust to that if he wants to have an easier time playing. You can't really avoid enemies like you can in the first 3. From my experience, it's better to just kill them on sight and get them out of the way. Except for the ghosts, that is. They're a little more complicated but I'm afraid explaining it in detail would spoil it.

This game is creepy I remember playing it back when it was fairly new, the apartment segments were probably the best part of the game.

​My mate says the series went downHILL after 4, he wasn't impressed with things like Shattered Memories and the last one on PS3.
I told him to play P.T. if he gets his PS4 and Alien Isolation.

​My mate says the series went downHILL after 4, he wasn't impressed with things like Shattered Memories and the last one on PS3.I told him to play P.T. if he gets his PS4 and Alien Isolation.

​Silent hill 4 wasn't originally intended to be a SH game, they changed the name later in development from what I heard. I found Alien far scarier than PT though.

​Silent hill 4 wasn't originally intended to be a SH game, they changed the name later in development from what I heard. I found Alien far scarier than PT though.

​That my pal hasn't played Alien yet boggles my mind, he's a huge alien fan. Silent hill origins was a game he liked I think. Mind you I've not played a single Silent hill to completion, couldn't get into SH1.

I've probably already said this before, but I only managed to play the demo of it stored on a disc (Along with MGS3 and other games I don't recall.) and never managed to finish said demo. So it will be interesting to see how things play out in this skipped game of my childhood.

That being said some of the enemies are easier dealt with instead of running away from. The dogs are a pain in the ass if you let them chase you, and its better putting those sick puppies down. Not that hard to beat either, just a few swings with de pipe and voila, dead dog thing.

Ghosts I would avoid though, from what I remember from the demo, they really don't die and running is the best option.

​This is false. SH4 was always intended to be a SH game. The devs just wanted to do something different. 

I don't normally watch streams.  This is the first time I've actually checked my watch for stream times.  When does Phil plan to play this again?

​Same here. I quit watching at one point due to obvious dramatic bullshit, but I always knew I'd come back if he played SH4.

Anyway, I seem to remember him tweeting that he may have a spot open for it....tomorrow? Either way, he seems invested enough in it to want to finish it.

well seeing how friday, today, is minecraft i can't imagine why he would schedule the game on this day.
I think for me it was weird game when I first played it, with some intended creepyness but after awhile it just died out. When I checked Dansgaming of the playthrough like last summer i realized how bad the game was in some aspects. Gameplay being clunky was likely a biproduct on what they were trying to do but the enemies and such on it being creepy didn't connect with me, However seeing a big thing later on the game was pretty disturbing. I won't spoil it obviously, but on webcam / green-screen dan was way more creepier with his facial expressions than the actual game haha

Anyway i am enjoying the playthrough though, even if i know what's coming. Should phil be saving the bullets and the gold clubs? I thought I heard the clubs were really strong