DSP Gaming

Characters: Why I like them

MDCFAN101

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I hope everyone had a happy, healthy, and most of all, safe Halloween yesterday.

Anyways, I wanted to talk about a character that I feel is criminally underrated and underappreciated as hell.  This is a character that has been around since the Golden Age of Comics and is a founding member of the Justice Society of America, the DC Universe's original superhero team.  He is not only the DC Universe's most powerful superhero, he may in fact be the most powerful superhero of all time.

I give you:

1665446401_TheSpectre(DCComicscharacter).thumb.jpg.f322801965d9c277d415b54ed7e76f0e.jpg

The Spectre.  He made his first appearance in More Fun Comics Vol. 1 #52 in February of 1940.  The Spectre is a fallen angel named Aztar who became the embodiment and spirit of God's wrath and vengeance out of penance when he attempted to overthrow God along with Lucifer Morningstar aka the Devil.  The Spectre has had many different human hosts over the years, however, his two most famous hosts are Jim Corrigan, legendary police detective, and Hal Jordan, legendary Green Lantern of Earth.

As I said before, the Spectre is the living embodiment of God's wrath and vengeance.  That automatically makes him extremely powerful.  As a matter of fact, he is a nigh-omnipotent being with immense power second to that of the supreme being himself, the Presence.  That right there makes him the most powerful hero in the DC Universe.

He appeared in the animated series, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, in which he was voiced by the great Mark Hamill.

As far as I am concerned, he definitely needs to appear in the DCEU because well he is the DC Universe's spirit of wrath and vengeance.  That is very important if you ask me.  I don't wanna hear the whiny excuse of him being "too powerful."

I hope you've enjoyed this segment.  I'll see you guys next time.  PEACE!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello True Believers,

Welcome to my latest segment on my Characters: Why I like them thread.

Today, I will be talking about another character that IMO doesn't exactly get the recognition he deserves.  He is among Jack Kirby's greatest creations/characters.

Folks, I bring to you:

958817254_EtrigantheDemon.png.6d8563f729a7546b7f8f2262741ae23c.png 

Etrigan the Demon.

"Gone!  Gone!  --- The Form of Man!  Rise the Demon, Etrigan!"

This legendary DC character made his very first appearance in The Demon Vol. 1 #1 in September of 1972.  As I mentioned before, he was created by the legend himself, the King, Jack Kirby.  

I've been a massive fan of the character since the DC Animated Universe, more specifically the Justice League & Justice League Unlimited animated series.

What I really like about Etrigan is that he likes to talk in rhyme and despite his violent tendencies, he usually allies himself with the forces of good.

Etrigan is highly by many writers and fans to be the most powerful demon on Earth in the DC Universe.  He abilities include vast superhuman strength comparable to Superman and Lobo, superhuman durability/invulnerability, accelerated healing, speed, agility, and reflexes, immortality, stamina, hellfire projection, claws, fangs, and wide variety of magical abilities.  These abilities make Etrigan extremely dangerous and formidable.

He has appeared in several DC animated film including the Justice League Dark animated films.  

I can't wait for WB to put this great character in the DCEU.  Hopefully, they get his character, story, and design right.

I hope you guys enjoyed the segment.  PEACE!!!

• 6 months later...

Hello True Believers,

Welcome to another episode of Characters: Why I like them.

Today, I am going to talk about a DC superhero that IMO needs a movie.  I was introduced to this character through the DC Animated Universe or as some fans call it the Bruce Timm verse.

Ladies and gentlemen, 

I am talking about:

1136130149_CaptainAtom(NathanielAdam).thumb.jpg.4853e7cd45b6b7009426bcfa837b21b2.jpg

Captain Nathaniel Adam aka Captain Atom.  As I said earlier, I was introduced to him through the DCAU.  

I gotta say, aside from him being extremely powerful, which I'll get into later, he's a real interesting character in my book.  I find his backstory and origin to be really cool and compelling.  As for him being extremely powerful, he is arguably among the top 5 maybe even the top 3 most powerful superheroes in the entire DC Universe.

Here is his powerset:

• Dilustel armored skin
  • Nigh-Invulnerability
  • Superhuman Stamina
  • Superhuman Speed, Agility, and Reflexes
  • Flight
  • Regeneration
  • Chronokinesis
  • Energy Projection
  • Energy Absorption
  • Energy Manipulation
  • Techno-Interface
  • Anti-Magic
  • Quantum Field Manipulation
  • Vast Superhuman Strength comparable to Superman

Because of his extensive powerset, some have argued that Captain Atom may in fact be more powerful than Superman.  That is something interesting to think about.

The character has also made appearances in Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Young Justice, Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox and Superman/Batman: Public Enemies.

If there is one actor that I can think of that I believe can portray Captain Atom in the DC Extended Universe right now, it is none other than Alan Ritchson.  IMO, he has the size, the build, and the charisma to pull this character off.

That is all for today's episode.  I'll see you guys later.  PEACE OUT!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello True Believers,

Welcome to another segment of Characters: Why I like them.  

Today, I am going to talk a character that I was able to see make his official appearance Season 4 of Young Justice.

Folks, I am going to talk about:

Orion.png.092678f6d5cd652066cf46b4a1815989.png

Darkseid's son Orion aka the Dog of War.

Been a fan of this legendary character and powerhouse since the good ol' DC Animated Universe, especially in particular, the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited animated series in which he was voiced by the great Ron Perlman.  He debuted during Jack Kirby's Fourth World comic series during the 1970s.  For those who do not know, Orion is Darkseid's youngest and most powerful son.  Kalibak is Orion's older and weaker half-brother.  Orion has been shown and stated the greatest and fiercest warrior of New Genesis.  He was raised on New Genesis rather than Apokolips because Darkseid and his brother Izaya aka Highfather exchanged sons as part of a truce agreement.  Despite living in a more loving and peaceful environment on New Genesis, Orion had difficulty controlling his hatred for all things he inherited from his father, Darkseid, in the form of a berserker rage.  In order to help him gain control of this berserker state, Highfather gave Orion a mother box.

Now, I'm sure you all heard earlier that Orion is legendary powerhouse in the DC Universe.  Well that is because his New God Physiology makes his physical prowess on par with Superman and his father, Darkseid.  Orion also possess the Astro Force which is a mysterious and powerful force of energy that can ward off the Omega Effect.  Orion is also an excellent fighter, strategist, tactician, and leader.  He even became a member of the Justice League for a period of time.

I hope we get to see Orion make his big screen debut sometime in the future.

I hope you all have enjoyed this segment.  I'll see ya'll later.  PEACE!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hello True Believers,

Since I was unaware that International Women's Day was yesterday, I am going to make it up today by talking about yet another one of my favorite female superheroes.  However, I am very aware she has been criticized moistly for how she was written during the Civil War 2 event back in 2016 and how she has been portrayed in the Marvel Cinematic Universe by Brie Larson thus far.

Ladies and gentlemen, the character I am talking about is:

306887301_CaptainMarvel(CarolDanvers).thumb.jpg.4da253c6398cc2ce6f891d8d7c9174f1.jpg

Carol Danvers, Marvel's current Captain Marvel.  

She made her very first appearance in Marvel Super-Heroes Vol. 1 #13 in March, 1968.  She was created by comic legends Roy Thomas and Gene Colan.  Since her debut, she has been established as one of the most prominent, enduring, famous, and iconic female superheroes in all of Marvel and comics in general.  She has been a member of the Avengers, New Avengers, and Mighty Avengers.  Her most famous love interests are Wonder Man, Mar-Vell (Marvel's original Captain Marvel), and Spider-Man (Peter Parker).

I was first exposed and introduced to this character through the first Marvel Ultimate Alliance game from 2006.  However, my fandom of the character came from the 2010 animated series, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, from 2010 in which she was voiced by probably, if not arguably, my favorite female voice actor of all time, Jennifer Hale.  In that show, she was written and portrayed extremely well especially to my liking.

What I always liked about Carol is that she is strong willed, confident, determined, and has a strong presence to her character especially when it comes to leadership.  As for her Captain Marvel costume, while I think it is great and all, she looks better without the mask.  However, I strongly prefer her black Ms. Marvel costume.  

As for how powerful she is, while she is definitely among the most powerful heroes in the Marvel Universe, she is no where near as powerful as Thor, Hulk, Hercules, Blue Marvel, Gladiator (Kallark), Wonder Man, Silver Surfer, Beta Ray Bill, and the Sentry.  I know she has her famous and dangerous Binary Mode which is equivalent to either Goku or Vegeta entering their ultimate Super Saiyan/Saiya-Jin form, but still, is no where near as powerful as those characters.  However, according to Dr. Henry McCoy aka Beast, she does have a healing factor more powerful than Wolverine's.  That right there is crazy.

I hope you guys enjoyed this segment.  I'll see you guys later.  PEACE!!!

Edited by MDCFAN101
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MDCFAN101 said:

Hello True Believers,

Since I was unaware that International Women's Day was yesterday, I am going to make it up today by talking about yet another one of my favorite female superheroes.  However, I am very aware she has been criticized moistly for how she was written during the Civil War 2 event back in 2016 and how she has been portrayed in the Marvel Cinematic Universe by Brie Larson thus far.

Ladies and gentlemen, the character I am talking about is:

306887301_CaptainMarvel(CarolDanvers).thumb.jpg.4da253c6398cc2ce6f891d8d7c9174f1.jpg

Carol Danvers, Marvel's current Captain Marvel.  

She made her very first appearance in Marvel Super-Heroes Vol. 1 #13 in March, 1968.  She was created by comic legends Roy Thomas and Gene Colan.  Since her debut, she has been established as one of the most prominent, enduring, famous, and iconic female superheroes in all of Marvel and comics in general.  She has been a member of the Avengers, New Avengers, and Mighty Avengers.  Her most famous love interests are Wonder Man, Mar-Vell (Marvel's original Captain Marvel), and Spider-Man (Peter Parker).

I was first exposed and introduced to this character through the first Marvel Ultimate Alliance game from 2006.  However, my fandom of the character came from the 2010 animated series, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, from 2010 in which she was voiced by probably, if not arguably, my favorite female voice actor of all time, Jennifer Hale.  In that show, she was written and portrayed extremely well especially to my liking.

What I always liked about Carol is that she is strong willed, confident, determined, and has a strong presence to her character especially when it comes to leadership.  As for her Captain Marvel costume, while I think it is great and all, she looks better without the mask.  However, I strongly prefer her black Ms. Marvel costume.  

As for how powerful she is, while she is definitely among the most powerful heroes in the Marvel Universe, she is no where near as powerful as Thor, Hulk, Hercules, Blue Marvel, Gladiator (Kallark), Wonder Man, Silver Surfer, Beta Ray Bill, and the Sentry.  I know she has her famous and dangerous Binary Mode which is equivalent to either Goku or Vegeta entering their ultimate Super Saiyan/Saiya-Jin form, but still, is no where near as powerful as those characters.  However, according to Dr. Henry McCoy aka Beast, she does have a healing factor more powerful than Wolverine's.  That right there is crazy.

I hope you guys enjoyed this segment.  I'll see you guys later.  PEACE!!!

Yea, Jen Hale does some great voice work but damn Captain Marvel is one of your favorites. At least she is just one of your favorites and not your most favorite super hero. I mean I know it's your opinion but no way she is a favorite of mine.

10 minutes ago, GuessWhat said:

Yea, Jen Hale does some great voice work but damn Captain Marvel is one of your favorites. At least she is just one of your favorites and not your most favorite super hero. I mean I know it's your opinion but no way she is a favorite of mine.

I know you are not crazy about her, but, I still recommend you give her Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes counterpart a shot.  She is really well written in that series.

As for her being among my favorites, yeah I find her backstory to be a bit interesting.  As for her personality, I don't think it is no where near as toxic as people make it out to be.  

She was also really fun to play as in the Marvel Ultimate games (1 & 2 to be more specific.  I don't 3 because I don't own a Nintendo Switch.), and in the mobile game, Marvel Future Fight.

As for Brie Larson's portrayal of the character in the MCU, while I do think she acts a bit toxic at times, I overall do think she has done a pretty decent job with the character.  TBH, Brie Larson wasn't my first choice to play Carol Danvers in the MCU.  I would've preferred maybe Maria Bello to play her.  Don't get me wrong, I think Brie Larson is a fine and talented actress, but she wasn't my ideal choice to play Carol Danvers in the MCU.

On 6/11/2022 at 6:54 PM, MDCFAN101 said:

TBH with you, that is not a bad casting choice.

Yeah.

The interesting is and the reason I mentioned it, is because a few years ago, I remember when she wanted the role of Captain Marvel, and was turned down. She even had a campaign for the role too.

Edited by musicboy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, musicboy said:

Yeah.

The interesting is and the reason I mentioned it, is because a few years ago, I remember when she wanted the role of Captain Marvel, and was turned down. She even had a campaign for the role too.

Didn't know about that.  Why was she turned down?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello True Believers and newcomers,

Welcome to yet another installment of my Incredible Hulk marathon here on the forums.

I was thinking about saving this character for my upcoming Villains month segment, but since I'm doing a Hulk marathon, why the hell not.  Today, I will talking about a classic Incredible Hulk villain that has been major thorn in the green/grey skinned goliath's hide since the beginning of their intense rivalry.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you:

772446345_Abomination(EmilBlonsky).thumb.jpg.e77cfff672953c09894183a8242277ef.jpg

Emil Blonsky aka the Abomination.  Debatably the Hulk's greatest villainous rival along with Samuel Sterns aka the Leader.  IMO, the Hulk has a very interesting and overlooked rogues gallery of villains.  The reason why I think the Hulk's rogues gallery of villains is overlooked because similar to Superman, the Hulk gets some flak from people for being such a powerful character.  I think it is wrong to do that, but it is what it is.

Anyways, this character has been pretty much a household name in the main Marvel Comics Universe aka Earth 616 since he was created Gil Kane and probably if not arguably the greatest comic writer of all time, Stan Lee, during the Silver Age of Comics.  For many years, Abomination has proven capable of standing toe-to-toe with the Hulk for an extended period of time before succumbing to the Hulk's rage and strength increase factor.  Abomination has been initially shown to be twice as strong as the Hulk, until of course the Hulk reaches a certain anger level where he can exceed and overpower Blonsky's vast strength.  As a matter of fact, Abomination is so strong, he can lift over 1,000 tons and hit with the force equivalent of 500lbs of TNT. 

Abomination has also gone head to head with Silver Surfer, She-Hulk, Spider-Man, Thor, Wonder Man, and Hercules.  Granted Silver Surfer, Thor, and Hercules proved too much for Blonsky to handle especially when it came to pure physical strength.  On the other hand, She-Hulk defeated Abomination with the aid of Spider-Man at one point and at another time she managed to best him by hitting his pressure points.  Wonder Man also managed to defeat Abomination in an all out battle which resulted in Simon getting a black eye.

What I like about Abomination aside from his origin in which he was exposed to gamma radiation at a greater level than Bruce Banner did when he became the Hulk, is that I see him as the Hulk's darker and more evil reflection in a way.

Do I think Abomination is an underrated, underappreciated, and underutilized villain?  Absolutely.  

TBH, as much as I loved Tim Roth's portrayal of the character in the MCU especially the 2008 incredible Hulk film (which I will review after I go out and see Thor: Love and Thunder), I have to say that when I think of Abomination, I think of Ron Perlman due to the excellent voice work he provided for the character in the 2005 Incredible Hulk game, The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

I hope you guys enjoyed this special segment here on Characters: Why I like them.  I'll see you all next time.  PEACE!!!